Friday, July 24, 2009

I said, It's My Birthday!!!

And it was - though it almost turned into a train wreck - but I get ahead of myself.
It was yesterday and I worked very hard selling baubles, bangles and bright, shiny beads for 11 hours and was rewarded with a few very nice sales. Tanks be to Gott!

A couple of friends stopped by the store to offer birthday wishes and in conversation gushed over a new seafood restaurant recently opened close to my apartment. I decided then that would be the evening's adventure. One of the friends offered to join me. I was very pleased with this because I don't like to dine out alone. It was all set; we would meet at the Surfing Crab at 5 pm.

I had the evening all planned for a dinner after work, a festive martini or two, and a lovely meal - preferably consisting of crab or lobster and a friend would be joining me. Perfect!

Not so much...

The person who was to relieve me for the evening called practically in hysterics to inform me that her 87 year old mother (suffering from more than a few ailments, including Alzheimer's) had experienced a dangerous drop in blood pressure due to a new med and she was taking her to the doctor then hospital and didn't have any idea when, or if, she would get in.

Physically, I knew was unable to work 14 hours and emotionally I really needed to enjoy a rare dinner out with a friend, especially on my birthday. So, I began calling other employees who had the day off, or worked day jobs elsewhere.

I finally reached someone to cover so that my evening wouldn't be a total loss, but there was a catch. This person had three errands to run for his day job and couldn't possibly get to the store before 5:30 pm. Bless you, Michael. You will never know how much I appreciate what you did for me last evening.

OK, so the evening began later than expected, but it happened.

I had my usual martini while Ron had his occasional Appletini - don't ask - as we perused the limited menu. The place is very much the usual east coast seafood joint with vinyl covered tables upon which thick butcher paper is place if steamed crabs are ordered for your party. I ordered the crab cakes recommended by a friend who had been there recently and Ron chose their black Angus burger. Neither of us suffered disappointment. The cakes were the best I have had in a long time - being 90% lump crab and 10% binder. The Angus burger sent Ron into the zone. It actually tasted like beef, rather than a thawed pre-formed chunk of basic American chuck.

I enjoyed a second martini as I savoured those crab cakes then was pleasantly surprised when Ron decided to pay the check for my birthday dinner.

So:
A few regular customers and good sales at the store. Check!
Two delicious martinis. Check!
The best crab cakes in a very long time. Check!
Enjoying a Birthday dinner with a friend. Uh - huh!

The planets aligned for a great day.

I may be another year older, but I don't feel it.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Happy [belated] Birthday Cajun W!

    Now I have to mark your birthday on my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthdays should be memorable. I'm glad yours turned out good. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated, but sincere wishes for a happy birthday! I am happy to read that despite the effort of the cosmos to counterdict your celebration, you were able to enjoy a very pleasant birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...