Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Car and the Old Bat in the Enclave...

The day finally arrived - it has been over a month since my car was rear-ended by a rich old bat with more money than brains - and I arrived the body shop early this morning where the rental car company was notified that I needed to be picked up.

The service manager greeted me with a wicked grin followed by a full blown out-loud laugh. I stood in the doorway stunned wondering what I had done to cause such an outburst. Assuring me that it was nothing I had done, the manager confirmed what I had already been told; that the old bat was "one of their best customers" meaning that she had used this shop FIVE times in less than a year. She had totaled her last car a few days before hitting me with her new one, which was why she told me that she didn't know how to drive the new one, yet.

The entire staff had a belly laugh and I finally joined in when the ramifications of her arrogance and stupidity finally sunk in. The car arrived from Enterprise and shuttled me to their office to finish the paperwork for the rental - paid for by the old bat's insurance company - and as the information was entered into their computer system, the small talk turned to the accident and reason for the rental. Then the associate handling my rental suddenly froze, and slowly put her hand up to her mouth in an effort to stifle a guffaw, which didn't work. She let out a squealing giggle and said something like, "oh my God, it's HER again" at which point all the other associates in the office swarmed her terminal as uncontrollable laughter broke out seemingly everywhere in the building.

You guessed it. The old bat required their rental services and evidently, wasn't the most charming of customers. Oh, the stories I heard. Hey, this is a very small town and things like this get around real fast. So, immediately I felt the love and sympathy from the whole staff.

The rental is a nice Suzuki sedan with a fab AC that cools almost instantly and almost blew me into the backseat. Great news, since the temperature today was in the mid 90s with high humidity and a duplicate is forecast for tomorrow. I drove to the park n' ride and get the bus into town for the day at job #2. We had a very busy lunch today, which was a good thing.

Oh, there was one reality check today. As I boarded the bus for the return trip there were no available seats and as I decided to stand near the front so as to chat with the driver, a pretty, young Russian summer worker offered me her seat. This was a first for me. I told her I was fine standing and actually enjoyed it. She didn't appear to be convinced, but let it go. It wasn't until I got off the bus that the incident fell into place. She was offering her seat to "an old man" - a very Russian thing to do - and I was suddenly quite embarrassed and feeling very old.

But as I started the car for the drive back to the apartment, I couldn't help laughing at the whole episode while hoping that there would be some kind young person willing to give up their seat if I truly need it in the future.

Damn that birthday last week!!! (sigh)

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Next time let the old bat buy you a new car.

    On your bus experience, you're as 'old' as you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I could relate to your post! (I need that sign, btw) I was chuckling like crazy at your experiences at the body shop and the rental re: the old bat being a good customer of both. Although you had a reality check with the Russian, I think you can take comfort in two thoughts: 1) You are not old (or feeble) enough to do to others what the old bat did to you and 2) isn't it nice to know that for some people (or cultures) there is still courtesy and respect for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I read that the young Russian girl offered her seat to you, I knew what had happened. More than once in just the past few years I have been offered courtesies like this because I am the "elderly gentleman." The first time it happened I looked around to see who she was referring to. You see, in my mind I'm still that strapping 37 year old Chris Riss type hunk. I don't think of myself as a grizzled 67 year old man who has been around the block more than a few times and lived to tell about it.

    I had to smile when I read your account as I'm sure you are smiling now at the comparison of my self to Mr. Rehoboth Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a way, it is rather sweet.

    At the moment, my nephew thinks I am an old man for using e-mail, as that is so old and slow.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...