Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A New Experience & Playing Catch Up

In an effort to understand more about the mechanics and science of restaurant operations and reservations (honest to G*d) I worked an extra 4 hours at job #2 last evening. And what an eye-opener that was. OK, I was naive to think there was more merit to taking a reservation than to suggest a walk-in.

The supper shift is an opposite experience to the lunch shift. Lunch is organized and the seating is rotated to be fair to all servers and assure they get equal number of seatings per shift. Supper is more hectic; large parties, special requirements (wheelchair, high chairs, etc.) of certain parties that must be taken into account. No need for rotation, because as tables are bused, they are turned over immediately, so all servers are kept busy.

For a Tuesday night, I found the controlled chaos amazing as I took the place of the assistant Host to the Maestro of the choreographed evening. The owner. He knows exactly how to juggle tables and servers; manipulate and manage time; and thanks to an incredibly precise software program knows how long a party of 6, 8, 10, or 18, will likely remain seated. So many variables that it boggles the mind. I was mesmerized even as I raced around the dining room following his orders as best I could (the lingo is foreign to me, so I was slow on the uptake) while groups large and small followed as I ushered them to their destination.

The lunch shift ends at 4 pm, so I had no idea what happens after, say, 4:30. To say that all hell breaks loose before 6 pm would be an understatement. By 6:30 there is not a seat to be had. Between the reservations and walk-ins the entire restaurant is FULL! Names are taken for those who don't mind waiting 25-45 minutes and beepers are offered to those serious enough to give up their ID or credit card.

I had no awareness of this alternate universe and it was stimulating to the point of overload, then exhausting (to say the least) attempting to digest this new information. If 25% made it into the gray matter, I will be happy, indeed. What a ride!

I was on the bus to the park-n-ride by 8 pm with brain in shutdown mode. Back at the apartment by 8:30 there was no way I was going to eat that late, and no energy to cook, anyway. So I made a G & T and watched the tail end of Olbermann and all of Rachel Maddow - when you're still in physical activity mode it takes time to come down - then showered, brushed teeth, and fell into bed. Next thing I knew the sun was rising in a clear, dark blue sky. Whew!

No chance to discuss events of last evening today; two servers called in sick and we were pressed for time all day. I am sure the owner and I will talk this out soon. I still have many questions, but glad to have had the experience. I hope that I learned something of value regarding the advantages and disadvantages of reservations during the tourist season.

It's now time for a G & T and supper. Yes, in that order. Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. “The mechanics and science of restaurant operations and reservations”…..something I never gave much thought about when I have dined out at a restaurant. Your very interesting blog posting has now given new meaning for me when I dine out. Who knew there was such organizational skill involved in seating and serving the masses during the height of the summer season at a major coastal resort?

    As you know all too well I am in a similar business with the public with my hotel front desk job. As you stated, the lunch shift is totally different from the dinner shift. The same is true with my job, the day shift (7 am to 3 pm) is totally different from the evening shift (3 pm to 11 pm.) I usually work the evening shift but yesterday I was called to fill in for the day time front desk clerk (after I worked the previous night.) Organizational skills are also required in when the situation involves answering two phone lines and making reservations while checking in guests and answering questions from the other guests for where are the best restaurants to where the bike trail starts. All the while I have to maintain this air of professional aplomb and not get rattled. My face may have a smile while dealing with these sometimes chaotic circumstances but my brain is saying something quite different.

    Who would’ve thought at this time of our lives that we would be dealing with learning this new set of customer service skills? No complaints from this quarter though and I suspect that you have no complaints either. Let’s face it; we’re both damn good at what we do. Now isn’t this much better than volunteering your time at Camp Rehoboth stuffing condoms? And we get paid for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I salute you for doing all this, job #1 + 2, and juggle some extra hours into it to see and learn something that was untill a few months ago still foreign to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tale is reminiscent of the tales that Maddog tells of his waiting tables in NYC. No wonder you slept well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best kind of tired is from putting in a good day's work which taxes the mind as well as the body. The worst kind of tired is the stress of a relationship breakup. You're in a good place now. Sleep well my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...