Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tomorrow is Unknown, but...

Yesterday at job #2 went well. Due to the fabulous non-July weather of the past few days we were not as busy for lunch because, obviously anyone in their left, or right mind would have been on the beach or near the ocean. Still, the lunch crowd was steady and the new server trainee was not overwhelmed. I try to watch out for these things. If the server is in trouble, the customer is, too.

Shot a bit of video using the FLIP as I enjoyed my after-shift cocktail with a server - and while the images are well lit this was only for fun and not ready for prime viewing. I shot the two bartenders I refer to as "The Bickersons" - look it up.

Having the day off, relaxing and listening to interesting (unknown to me) classical music making its way up to my open windows from the landlady's pool and deck below. She has friends visiting and they're offering a running commentary regarding this or that in the music, as they bob in the pool. Yes, she's a musician.

I was awake earlier than usual this morning, so chose to get some web updates - that simply would not upload last evening - out of the way early, so the rest of the day would be just that...rest. Enjoyed a real sit-down breakfast too. What a luxury that was. Sipped an iced coffee as I read a few of my fave blogs and news sites, and know exactly what will be on tonight's menu at this Cajun's place.

Unearthing a cache of old recipe files I found one for pork spare ribs that doesn't require a grill. It's by a dear old friend who is gone now, but I remember those ribs and the tangy sauce to this day. His name was Ted; we were roommates in college and remained friends until his death. Ted loved to cook, loved the 'busyness' of it all, tried new recipes but loved to play with flavours and spices on his own. This is one of those. Ted was always in command of the kitchen at least one weekend night. He would make this whenever he visited the place in NJ from NYC every summer and we all looked forward to these special eventful weekends.

So, following work on Thursday, I stopped by the market where the two most handsome and personable butchers I have ever met are hard at work. Ahem! Where was I?

Oh, yes. Turned out the ribs were on special this week. I asked if he would cut them for me and he did in less than two minutes and as he presented the package with a smile he said, "I'll let you know when the black angus filets go on sale again." That's because the sale is usually 'unadvertised' and since I am in that store twice weekly, at least, he's bound to catch up with me at some point. Yes, I know, wishful thinking...

The music has stopped and the pool is empty. They're probably taking showers and planning an evening either in town or maybe a quiet one at the house around the pool again.

Anyway, it's time to get the sauce/marinade out of the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature. Prep the ribs, make the salad, and the sweet potato fries. This will be the ultimate test for my little Cuisinart convection oven. Stay tuned.

Oh yes, and then it will be time for a festive cocktail. Hell, it'll be 5 o'clock somewhere.

Together, we all say...Amen.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. This was one of those rare days, just perfect in every way; temperature, humidity, and breeze. Notice that when there is weather like this, everyone is so nice? I'm glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, what better than a good rib recipe coupled with ribs on sale complemented with the quiet of the neighborhodd!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...