Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

Tuesday at job #2 was busy and interesting. Many new customers were referred by regulars and they didn't leave disappointed. I am fortunate to work with a wonderful wait staff who constantly get compliments from customers. A rare thing, indeed, since most people are known to complain about service. Had a short but interesting conversation with the boss about staying on after the season and maybe putting in more hours, though how that will come to be is anybody's guess - unless more hours are added to the day.

Following an after-shift cocktail, I caught the bus and was immediately amazed by the driver and ambiance of the bus. A very handsome, well built black man with a cool mustache and goatee (reminding me of Isaac Hayes) with a ready smile - listening to jazz on the bus radio - not the usual Country/Western. A nice, refreshing change for the ride back to the car.

This morning, I ran a few errands and picked up a prescription refill before heading to the park-n-ride. The air was fresh and humidity was low. Add to this a light breeze and you've go a recipe for a perfect day. And it was. While the restaurant wasn't as busy as yesterday - well, with the great weather who would not want to be on the beach? - it was just busy enough for the training of new servers. So, that was a plus for the trainees and the servers tasked with their training.

Time passed quickly and as I enjoyed the after shift cocktail, listening to the two evening shift bartenders pick at each other like long time lovers, I mulled over the fact that next Tuesday, I will continue to work well into the dinner shift to learn first-hand what the dinner shift entails and what I need to learn about scheduling reservations. I look forward to it, since without real hands-on experience of what actually happens, it's all abstract. Due to my lack of this knowledge I came dangerously close to over booking for last evening.

Getting out of town and back to the apartment was uneventful. I am about to enjoy a G & T as I prep a pork and vegetable stir fry for supper.

Aside from having no social life, things are going relatively well, and each month the medical bills are being reduced by the double payments. At this rate (if all goes well) the balances could be reduced by half in 10 months. Tonight all is well, even considering the full moon.

Tomorrow will be a long one at job #1 - at least a 10 hour day. Oy! Back to job #2 on Friday, and then - if all goes according to plan - off on Saturday.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. oooh G &T !

    we recently did a double blind Gin tasting and yes I could tell a difference between gins.
    To my suprise I like Tanqueary the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you are settling into a comfortable and productive routine. As you know I have no social life either. However, some years ago when I was holding down two jobs (the bank during the day and the hotel during the night), I happily came to the conclusion that the hotel job was my social life. And that is the way it is today. My job at the hotel in Lewes is my social life. Not for me the Happy Hour at the local wrinkle bar, I would much rather has interaction with the wide range of people and personalities that I have during my job at the hotel. To each his own. Big Bob says his social life is the church. Others have a social life with pot lucks and made up excuses for parties (see the photo section of Letters for THAT social life.)

    I would say you have a thriving social life from the many friends you have made at both of your jobs. It's just a different social life that you had before. By now you have probably realized that your previous "social life" was a bit on the shallow side. How many of those "friends" have stuck with you?

    Of course the elephant in the room is where is that person who greets you with a hug as you return home each day from a hard day's work. Not everyone has that luxury and besides, that kind of life is not all it's cracked up to be anyway. Many, many fine people live alone and are quite happy.

    Continue on my friend, you're doing just fine with the path you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eye (and ear) candy is always good to feast upon wherever you find it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...