Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Of Turkey & Thanksgiving

Tuesday came and went, I believe. Had a doctor's appt. scheduled for 8:30 am so I left with plenty of time to spare (or so I thought) planning to run into School buses picking up the little darlings as they dash through and around stopped traffic to be the first of their tribe to get on-board.

No, the delay was due to an accident caused by another a**hole on her cell phone drifting into the lane of oncoming traffic (my lane!) .  She, the SUV and cellphone were unscathed, but the little car she plowed into was a total loss, I am sure. What a turkey!! Traffic was backed up for miles.  Come January, a new law takes effect allowing drivers hands-free devices only, which means no more talking and texting while behind the wheel.   I.  Can't.  Wait.

Anyway, instead of arriving at the doctor's office 15 minutes early, I was 5 minutes late. When the nurse took my blood pressure it was very, very high and she began to panic.  I calmed her and told the whole story.  She took the BP again later on and it was fine, exactly where it should have been. Nothing new to report.  Everything is on hold until next year when Medicare kicks in, then, G*d help me.

The trip back home was just that...'a trip' and included another accident (this one involved a construction site) and a second incident where one lane was being dug up and all traffic used the other lane alternating as directed by the flagmen. It was after 1 pm when I arrived home (yes, almost 6 hours since I left) and I had just enough time to shower and shave and get to the restaurant by 2 pm, in preparation for afternoon opening. I was asked to do so by the boss because there was a video shoot at the other place at 3 pm. and he didn't want to leave the place unsupervised. I live so near it would be rude to say no.

All went smoothly and the doors opened at 4 pm.  The bosses arrived around 4:45 and I was home and ready for a light supper - and a cocktail - by 5:00.

The weather forecast called for rain Tuesday and again today, but the sun has been hanging around instead. Temperatures in the upper 60s yesterday didn't find anyone complaining, either.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day here in the states and I will be working all day. Along with the regular menu there is a special Thanksgiving menu consisting of Turkey with all the trimmings, appetizer and dessert. There are plenty of reservations - for small and large parties. It's become an annual tradition.  People love to come down this weekend, but don't want to spend hours cooking, and cleaning.  They want to relax and shop the outlet stores on Black Friday in search of bargains.  So the restaurant takes all the work out of the holiday for them, and I get to spend the day with happy people and a great staff. A win-win for everybody!  Sure beats the alternative, anyway.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. You almost had me when you wrote about that asshole* who swerved on the road and hit a car.

    *In my country you're allowed to use these words without the asterisk's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you do have time to enjoy some of that Turkey. Maybe you'll be so busy that the day will fly by.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Your Friend, m.
    p.s. that law won't stop the idiots.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...