Monday, September 19, 2011

An Adventure in Food Management

Tomorrow morning will find me wheeling toward Pokomoke, Maryland at 6 am to attend a nine-hour class/seminar devoted to Food Service Management and food handling safety. It's the ServSafe program instituted by the FDA devoted to Temperature Control of Foods for Safety. (TCS)

The seminar is formally known as the "ServSAFE Serving Safe Food Certification Program" - Applied Foodservice Sanitation" cha-cha-cha. Covering topics like Sanitation Challenges, Flow of Food through the Operation, and Clean, Sanitary Facilities and Equipment.

The seminar includes the Course Book, Class Instruction, Role-Play (?), Certification Testing, Lunch, and the Certificate (upon passing the test).

Yes, tomorrow was to be one of my two days off this week, but the locosguys neglected to let us know that he had scheduled (and paid for) us to attend. He did ask if I would mind taking the seminar with a few others, but that was way back in late July, and no mention was made of it again.

Originally, there were to be 7 in our little group, but 2 are unable to attend on such short notice due to personal issues, or school. Not to worry, the $225. per person will not be lost. Those 2 will attend at a future date. We are traveling together in one car and all expenses are paid by the restaurant.

While I have no idea the reasoning behind my participation, I am looking forward to the challenge and learning more about the way the FDA holds tight rein over food service in this country while allowing tainted foods from other countries into the US without so much as a peep. I hope to learn a lot.

OK, so I lose a day, but Wednesday is still a free day. All is not lost, and it could be great fun. I'll let you know, either way.  I just know you can't wait!!!

And so it goes.

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually jealous. I miss my days in the restaurants. Enjoy the seminar!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will actually find the course either interesting or boring as hell ! If I had known I could have come to the Restaurant and taught the class on site.(But then again it would have cost more then 25.00 per person0 :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...