Thursday, September 8, 2011

Don't Apply Early for Social Security Benefits...

...Unless you 1.) live with 6 other people in a small flat,  2.) live on the street in a cardboard box, 3.) live with parents at age 65.   Sure, all that makes perfect sense, now doesn't it?

Everyone advised me to apply early; don't wait until full retirement age; the money will come in handy now.  Well, at least that last part would have been correct. It seems the rules have changed.

Problem is if gross income exceeds

- wait for it -

$1180.00 monthly, you apparently get nothing.

I have answered 3 questionnaires since applying in May, expected a check in July, only to receive another questionnaire at the end of August. WTF? 

The May questionnaire asked for my approximate income for 2011.  I  did a bit of math using last year as a guide and returned it.  The August one demanded the exact gross income for 2011 and a projected gross income for 2012.  WTF, again! That one was mailed back today and I don't expect to see any money until after my birthday in 2012.

Nothing extra for basic TV service, or pocket money for a little fun, and nothing for a short getaway this Fall. 

I am sick of talking about money (or the lack thereof) and tired of making excuses when asked to join co-workers for a Happy Hour drink at a local pub.  They just don't understand and don't ask anymore.

It is what it is and there is nothing within my power to change it.  I'm sorry that I was misled into believing that things would be different if I applied early.  I should have waited and saved myself all this aggravation.

I cannot complain; I have an apartment, a job I love, food for the table, and only a year before I can collect SS benefits without a catch.  I hope.

I smell olives - at least 2!

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Time to work "under the table". And I'm not talking dirty!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed one good reason for applying early. That is if you are receiving a pension or monthly payments from investments. Perhaps all those who suggested applying early fall into this category.

    Good luck.
    DM

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...