Tuesday, December 27, 2011

An 8-Day Work Marathon

I won't have a day off until January 3, 2012. Everything is going well and I don't mind really.  I can use the extra hours and my daytime staff is a fine-tuned machine by now. Thankfully, we've been busy serving about 120 guests at lunch and 300 for dinner.  It's a good thing all round: restaurant makes money, servers make money, customers get to relax and enjoy good food, drink, and company.

This was the second day of my 8-day work marathon.  Historically, the week between Christmas and the New Year has been a big family week at the restaurant; the kids are out of school and the parents want to relax and enjoy the rest of the season. 

As my shift ended we were hit with a torrential rainstorm, I stayed for my AS cocktail anyway, but getting home was no picnic. Arrived to find a soaking wet package (much like myself) on the porch and prayed that the items inside were properly wrapped. Removed the wet work drag at the door, dumping it into a box nearby, and hurriedly threw on some sweats and dry socks before opening the package.  Items inside were wrapped well and dry though the outer box fell apart as I lifted it to the counter, catching the items before they tumbled to the floor.

The most important item is a new shower-head for the bath. The present one would probably be considered an antique today, and is about to give up the ghost.  The new one came with no instructions, but I hope to figure it out and install it before work tomorrow.

The rain continues as the winds have increased, so I think it's going to be a bumpy night.  Just hope I don't lose electric power. I will prepare supper quickly, just in case. Microwaving left-overs is fast, after all.

New Year's Eve has never been a fave holiday so I am happy that I work the day shift and have no dealings with the drunks later that night. By the time 2012 rolls in I will have been asleep for about 2.5 hours, and that's the way it should be.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Take it easy. And just so you don't feel bad, I haven't seen Midnight in years and years and years.
    m.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...