Saturday, December 31, 2011

Barbara Cook Honored: Best Ending to Begin 2012

Following a cocktail and supper, and as a small bottle of the bubbly chills, I tried (again!) to call the sister to wish her well in the new year.  Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather when she actually answered the phone. We had a nice chat and I learned that she's been inflicted with "shingles" for 3 weeks and in a lot of pain. I know that pain, having had shingles in my 30s long before there were any treatment options available.  From everything she told me it seems she's getting good care, so that's a relief.

The little bottle of the bubbly continues to chill, so I sat down to read a few fave bloggers and happened to come upon this wonderful gem. The finale of the Kennedy Center Honors, saluting my all-time fave lyric soprano, Barbara Cook.  Barbara, looking radiant, is seated in the guest of honor section flanked by the president and first lady, Yo-Yo Ma, Neil Diamond, Meryl Streep and more.

The talent on stage left me speechless.  Each time the camera locked on Barbara I couldn't help but wonder what was going through her mind as she listened to the songs she introduced in so many shows, and re-invented in concerts.

To my mind the show ends as it should - with the entire cast performing the finale from Candide. The look on Barbara's face says it all. I can think of no finer way to ring in the new year, than with this tribute.

But let me stop rambling and let you view what I think is the best video to end 2011.

Side note: the sound is out of sync on the final 1/3 of the video. Still worthwhile viewing.
The bubbly ought to be chilled enough by now.  See you next year.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. I promise promise you that shirt!
    May 2012 be fabulous for you, and full of martinis, and no rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in phillyJanuary 1, 2012 at 7:38 AM

    happy 2012; perhaps this year we shall meet, yes? save a cosmo for me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...