Saturday, December 10, 2011

Holiday Music, Marathons & Determination

I was positively clairvoyant about the holiday music.  Yes, it came out of the speakers all day today.  There was a new one in the silly mix, too.  "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" - I don't know where it came from and I do not want to know.  OK?

Thanks to the Marathon (runners and volunteers) we enjoyed a busy and satisfying lunch business.  Since the Marathon stepped off at 7 am and ended shortly after 2 pm, we enjoyed the company of many runners, and their families and supporters.  My, they are a cheerful bunch.  They loved the town and the food (some from as far away as Maine & Wisconsin) and were happily surprised by the service and friendly atmosphere of the restaurant.

Speaking of the Marathon I want to share a story of the last person to finish today. She, family, and supporters were most jubilant when they entered the restaurant.  The runner was greeted with applause and cheers as she entered and I soon found out why. She was the last entrant to cross the finish line, as I said, but this was also a goal she set for herself only 2 years ago.  She was 56 years old, had been declared morbidly obese, on the edge of becoming a diabetic (no one in her family had diabetes) and she found it hard to breathe.  She began an exercise routine, mostly walking, and a year ago entered a 5K race for a charity. Because friends and family believed in her, she raised quite a respectable sum and finished that race.  Quitting was not an option.

Today at 58, she has lost weight, toned her large frame and finished a 26+ mile Marathon.  I know this sounds like something you'd see on Oprah, but you had to see the faces in the room.  I bought her table a pitcher of margaritas and she gave me a big hug. I think I began to feel the spirit of Christmas in my heart through that hug.

Speaking of Christmas spirit, the staff Christmas party is coming up this Tuesday evening. The restaurant is closed to the public and staff and spouses from both eateries are welcome to attend. I've been vacillating (not feeling the cheer of the season) but I may choose to attend, after all.  Not sure, yet.

And in all, a wonderful day filled with good people, good food, competition, friendship, challenge, support, and a spirit of community. 

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I just cannot imagine running 26 miles. That is a LOT of miles!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...