Friday, December 9, 2011

Bah, Hum-Fuck!

That was the text inside a greeting card way back in the 1970s and I have always loved it. There was another one with a smirking elf sitting under a tree on the cover, with the text inside reading, "meet me under the Christmas tree and I'll kiss you beneath the balls."

Anyway...

I can't seem to get into the holiday spirit this year. It all seems so shallow, forced, desperate, and contrived.   Now more than ever.

The other day as I ran errands I noticed that the parking lots of shopping centers were empty, as were those of the super markets, and (of all places) Walmart.  Every stop was like a ghost town with only 1 or 2 checkout stations open and not a person in line. 

Of course, it made my work a breeze and with the various bored sales staff vying for my attention at every stop, I was finished and back home in time for lunch.  I will not complain.  I dread running any errands involving retail during the season, but this was something completely different.  Eerie and a bit unsettling.

For the moment, at least, there is no holiday music at the restaurant, so I am spared multiple listenings to dogs barking "Jingle Bells", or that country fave "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer", the 60 year-old  Chipmunks, that most annoying "Dominic The Donkey",  and all the other kitschy cute tunes of the season.  I fear that will all end tomorrow; there will be a marathon in town and we have reservations for huge groups celebrating their holiday get togethers with us.

I purchased a bottle of the best eggnog around these parts, a small bottle of bourbon, and will mix the two - for medicinal purposes, of course - to jump start my ho-ho-ho attitude, if necessary.

BTW, thanks for the comments and private emails regarding the back pain (from yesterday's post) and suggestions to help alleviate some of the pain.  I appreciate your input and caring.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I too noticed the paucity of shoppers at the usual retail outlets. I thought it was me or I was there on an off time. Maybe the folks did most of their shopping on Thanksgiving Day.
    The eggnog you purchased I assume was from Lewes Dairy. IT IS THE BEST! Thank God they don't have it year round. I limit myself to a half cup a night with two chocolate chip cookies. One half cup of that egg nog is 220 calories and 100 FAT calories! I can feel it coating the walls of my blood veins as it slides down. Ah, but it is worth it. DELICIOUS!

    I hope your back is better. The discomfort may also be caused by stress...of the season. I don't think I'm a "Bah Humbug" kind of guy but I'm not unhappy when "Tis the season" is over. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...