Friday, March 16, 2012

Cracked Crock, Slow Burn, & Inspiration

If you read this space at all you know that I cook most meals;  usually in large quantities - between 4 and 8 servings - and freeze the individual servings for quick meals after busy workdays. It can be very expensive to cook for only one person. There are usually at least 3 different options to choose from, usually totally different in nature, and they sustain me quite nicely.

Well, I got tired of all the leftovers and planned a special event tonight, featuring good-old New Orleans Roast Beef Po-Boy sandwiches.  Got all the fixings together last night (except for the gravy which is made from the finished beef) and began cooking the beef roast in a slow cooker/crock pot before work today. My mouth watered all day thinking about what was in store this evening.

I did not expect what waited for me this evening as I returned home. A strange, acrid odor greeted me and it didn't take long to find the source.  It seems the crock broke and the juices, broth, and wine trickled through the crack down into the cooker, burned, dried, and ruined the beef.

After the initial shock (I have never experienced this sort of thing before and I have used crock pots for decades) I opened all windows, turned on all fans, then checked out the damage.

The roast was ruined; even though the crock didn't fall apart, the crack was almost dead center and just large enough to allow most of the liquid to drip slowly down into the base of the cooker. 

The crock of these new cookers are usually of varying colors - most of them dark blue, black, red, etc. - and if there was a defect in the pottery, it would not be visible unless closely examined.  I would not have imagined this could ever happen, so close examination was unthinkable.

Threw away the beef (sadly) and the crock pot (after taking photos to send as evidence to the manufacturer) letting the place air out while enjoying a few olives, (martinis bring good things to life - and bad situations) then still refusing to have another dinner of leftovers, checked out the options in the fridge for ideas, prepared a mushroom, black olive. and cheese omelet with sourdough toast and a small salad for supper.

Sad about that beautiful beef roast and the demise of the large 6 qt. crock pot, but it is what it is.

I think the windows will remain open over night.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. "Jesus wept." i have never HEARD of such a thing happening and i'm with you in decades of crocking. angel. has it ruined you for the future? daddy was an electrical contractor and wouldn't let us have one when they came out and it took me years to get over leaving it alone all day. i'm gonna have to lay a rosary on mine next time i use it. argh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dasch: Jesus wept over a dead crock pot? They made these things much better (like everything else) way-back-when, and I just don't trust them anymore. Plastic pan liners was suggested, so I will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been quite irritating. I would be fuming! I admire your integrity of not ordering takeaway

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...