Thursday, March 29, 2012

Medical Update

No surprises here. It is what I feared all along.

The new Dr. called to tell me that he received the results of the ultra-sound and that I do, in fact, have a darling little paraumbilical hernia that is about 1.5 centimeters long. We will discuss options on my next office visit. No stomach crunches, heavy lifting, sit-ups, etc., as that may exacerbate the situation..


Potential problem: the season begins in about 6 weeks.  Should I get it repaired ASAP, or wait until after Labor Day?

Tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM I will be at the medical center for blood work ordered by the new Dr. I am going early because I must fast 12 hours tonight. Just the usual tests for a man my age - a PSA, cholesterol, liver and kidney screening.  Going in early means I can race back home for a coffee and good breakfast before work, so I won't get a headache.

No, I don't know how much of the cost will be covered by Medicare, but - it is what it is - and necessary.

Looks like there is another hospital bill in my future, just as I make the final payment (April 3rd.) on the previous emergency.  Bother!

And so it goes.
*

6 comments:

  1. Do what you have to do my brother... Aging is not fun, but it's a heck of a ride!

    O&O from Portsmouth

    ReplyDelete
  2. bother, indeed
    oh go ahead and get it repaired before it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better do it as soon as possible, when you get an attack in the season you're hurt more [body & soul].

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as possible is the best option with time to get up to speed before the "season". Medicare will cover its 80% I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the input, everyone.

    I will have a chat with the DR. on Monday about the logistics - finding a surgeon, availability, etc. - I will try for sooner rather than later.
    Why take the chance of an emergency occurring in Season?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...