Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Early Spring, New Birds, & Comfort Foods

The Crocus are already gone, Hyacinths are blooming, Tulips are popping up, and the trees are exploding with new life - and officially Spring doesn't arrive for another week. I can actually smell the Hyacinths on my walk to work.  Amazing.

Arriving home last evening I got a glimpse of the pair of Cardinals who own a nest in the stand of bamboo next to the driveway. They are always a joy to hear and watch, and since it's been warm this winter I can guess that they will have a new brood of young'uns in the near future.

Then, to my surprise, I heard a bird call I've not heard in a while. (At least not here.) It seems that I have a new pair of Catbirds - apparently nesting in the pine trees in back. Yes, their call does sound like that of a cat and while it's not easy to see them, hearing them is never a problem. (Photo is above.)

I think they've moved into permanent residency because I heard them again this morning; even with the door and windows closed due to the rain.

Yes, it rained again all night and into this morning, though it seems the sky is trying to clear in the west. So, as with everything else changing with this crazy weather, I suppose the saying ought to be changed to "March Showers Bring April Flowers" now.

I developed a hankerin' for comfort food last night and set to work making a fresh Baked Ziti recipe with black olives and thin-sliced Italian sausages. Thawed out a container of my own sauce for the event and enjoyed a really satisfying dinner with a salad, garlic bread & glass of wine on the side.

If the sun makes an appearance I will head outdoors for some activity, if not I'll settle in and read for the day. It is relaxing to have the day to do nothing, if I so choose. Yay for me!

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Are you bragging because you have a free day and I'm stuck inside?
    Listen, enjoy your day and suck in the warmth!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this entry was lovely; thank you !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...