Monday, March 26, 2012

Social Security, Weather, & Angels

Aside from the most recent missive from the SSA, essentially telling me that I am a good-for-nothing rich bastard and therefore will not receive Social Security benefits any time soon - and, blah blah blah, there is little to write about. But, there is this. It took me 4 days to work up the energy to open the envelope.

The weather has been miserable throughout the mid-Atlantic states with a mixture of fog, mist, and rain for over a week. I am grateful that is hasn't been cold with snow, or ice, but still...

Work has been a delight as regulars came in for good food and drink, looking for some 'cheering-up' - yes, I know how to help that along. It's been a great time though this afternoon I was feeling spent until the sister (dining with a regular customer) touched my arm as she was leaving to tell me that her sister made a list of what and who to see this weekend, and that I was the one person on that list.It was difficult to hold back tears.

I've never heard anything like that before.

When the customer approached us, she said, "You know, you are the reason we came in for lunch; to enjoy a margarita, and so my sister could meet you. I wanted her to meet you in person. I've talked about you for years, and she decided she had to meet you herself." As she gave me a hug she whispered that she was sorry she didn't get to see me often in the summer because she and family spend their days on the beach and come in to dine in the evenings. I could find no words. I was overwhelmed.

Please don't think that I write this to boast or toot some horn. It is a shock and I still don't know how to respond to, or process experiences like this. Do we ever know how we touch other people's lives?

There are human angels everywhere and I am happy to know a few. I'll leave it there.


And so it goes.
*

6 comments:

  1. You can boast if you want to. That would have made my day too!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an excellent host. Par excellence! Go ahead, toot your horn, you deserve to. I think sometimes you don't realize how good you really are. The Two Crazy Guys know this and that is why they value you as an employee and a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Do we ever know how we touch other people's lives?"

    Absolutely not -- not even a scintilla. And maybe that is a good thing because there is so much joy and awe - none of it attached to our ego or intention -when we discover it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a Boost I actually go out of my way to eat at a restaurant because of one of the shift leaders. Usually just a smile or like Sunday "I wonder were you been I made the tea just the way you like it." It takes a certain "umpf" that makes people happy and it appears you have it sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always glad to hear human angels speaking up and letting one know they exist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments and insights.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...