Monday, March 19, 2012

St. Patrick, Queen Victoria & a Sazerac Cocktail

St. Patrick's Weekend is over (thanks be to G*d!) and we're none the worse for the experience.  This little beach town boasted a forecast (forecast, mind you) of sunny skies, light breezes, and temperatures in the low 70s F. Never happened.

Oh sure, I walked to work Thursday morning under sunny skies and a morning temp around 62' F. By 11 o'clock a mist rolled in off the Atlantic, the sky grew dark and within an hour the temperature dropped 20' F.  No joke.

By 2 pm the winds kicked up and there was a heavy downpour lasting until the end of my shift at 4.  All this time the Weather Channel is touting "sunny skies and a temperature of 72' in Rehoboth Beach." Again, no joke.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday brought more mist, fog, and less than comfortable temperatures. Of course the heat was on at the restaurant; I even had to turn it on at home when I arrived at a cold, damp 54' apartment.  Brrr!

The restaurant was not as busy as in past years, but I think the weather did us in. Still, the usual crazies in costumes, shamrock hats and beads, and swilling green beer began their pub-crawl early on Saturday.  Pulling on the front door at 10 am, already 3 sheets to the wind, and whining because we didn't open until 11:30 - a-whole-hour-and-a-half.

Don't know where their launch pad was, but I have my suspicions. Thankfully, all our drunks arrived later and were in a happy mood. I find it harder and harder to deal with obnoxious drunks anymore, so this was a plus for us all.  As my shift was ending, a party of 13 lesbians burst into the place and virtually took over the hi-tops in the bar.  They sang as they placed shamrock stickies on all faces within arm range. Dressed in green velvet coats with green top hats and green carnations, they had a great time. 

As I enjoyed my AS cocktail, I received a shamrock sticker on my cheek, and more than a few kisses from the gang.  It was fun. No green beer for me; had a Bombay Sapphire with olives and after making rounds of tables of regulars, headed home to a quiet evening and supper.

Sunday saw a busy lunch with many diners nursing hangovers (welcome to vomit city!) and opting for lighter American dishes - and Margaritas - before the drive back to DC, PA, or NJ. A rather quiet, subdued group to say the least. A most welcome turn of events, IMHO.

At home last night I made a Sazerac and listened to some light jazz as my dinner cooked.  Took a hot shower and upon hitting the sheets remember nothing until this morning. 

The sun finally made an appearance, so I knew it was going to be a good day...and I was right. Took a walk on the beach before work. Wonderful. Nice lunch crowd and the new server is working out very well. He's young, bright, and from Mexico City.  Unfortunately, today was his 22nd. Birthday, so he got the full treatment** - from the kitchen & wait staff, and the doslocosguys.  He was stunned at first, but got into the moment pretty quickly. He has no family here and no girlfriend, and was overwhelmed by the outpouring of friendship and love.

**The full treatment: It can be humiliation; a sombrero is placed on the head, a cake with candles is presented (pictures are taken by friends and family) as an animated rabbit sings "They Say it's Your Birthday" by the Beatles, then the staff sings the traditional "Happy Birthday" as we rattle noisemakers and make a general racket unto the Lord, to the horror of the birthday person.  Lots of fun.

Have the next 2 days off and have a few fun ideas if the weather cooperates and I get the chores out of the way tomorrow. We shall see. No matter, I am grateful for the time off to relax and recharge.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. So, you humiliated the Mexican boy by putting a sombrero on his head? Sounds like good old fashioned racism to me. wink!
    Here's to warmer weather down there.
    m.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...