Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Joke Was On Me!

Following a very busy day I chose to opt out of an after-shift cocktail, said good-bye to everyone and walked home in silence and peace.  A nice change.

As I walk in the door the cell phone is going off and I pick up to hear the voice of my seemingly poor, dejected boss whining about my not saying good-bye before leaving (he was with customers & friends and I never intrude) - then another voice is on the line from another phone; it's a server asking if I have a fever, or something, and I say, no. Another voice is the bartender wanting to know why I didn't stay for my AS cocktail, another voice suggesting that I had a 'hot date' and had to leave in a hurry, still another voice asking if I was sick, or something, and still another voice (Sasha, my relief host for the evening) saying - in low tones, "you should have stayed for your cocktail.  Now see what you've caused? Never leave without enjoying your AS cocktail unless you want more of this."  And then there was laughter from G*d knows how many people on the same line. It was such silly fun and a likely stress-reducer on such a busy day. The evening will be even busier and crazier.

Everyone knows that I enjoy my AS cocktail very much, usually sharing the few moments with a few of my lunch staff who are also finished for the day.  It is also well known that if the bar is crowded (or loud) I leave without one.  The bar was not crowded or noisy this day. So the joke was born.

The Locos Guys got everyone else to pretend they were concerned about my health and well-being.  Have I ever mentioned that I work with the best (albeit craziest) people on the planet?  Well, I do.

On a more sober note: There was another envelope in the mailbox from the Social Security Administration which I will not open tonight.  Ain't nuttin's gonna ruin my silly evening.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the reasons I enjoy your blog. Although you have your difficulties, you have not let them overwhelm your ability to see these moments of joy and grace -- aided and abetted by those who have been put into your world -- admist the muck and the mire.

    With thanksgivings for silly co-workers and other travellers along the path...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social Security can be a long drawn out battle for sure. depending on the situation circumstances get a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Will J: Thanks for that comment. These are the things that keep me going and moving forward. This is my life now, and it could be (and has been)much worse. Yes, I am blessed.

    @Roger: I have not opened the envelope - it's all bureaucratic BS that I am in no mood to decipher at present. And sorry, I have no interest in making another attorney rich on the back of someone like me. I'll receive benefits, or not. I am too tired for that battle anymore. The Universe will provide, or not.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...