Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Kindle, The Lightness of Being Me, & Transfer of Funds

Spent last evening investigating Kindle E-readers, prices, and features.  I've narrowed the field to 2 models - Kindle Fire w/ colour screen with WiFi only (@$199.) or the Kindle Keyboard 3G with standard e-ink text and pearl screen with both WiFi and 3G (@$139.) - which means it can be used without a WiFi hotspot.

If I choose the Fire, I will need to install a wireless network on my computer and that means the purchase of a router - an additional $100. (give or take a few), and I'd have to pay to have it set up and installed because I don't know how to do that stuff. A friend said, "go with the FIRE, you'll love it for the movies alone." Well, let me just say that the screen of our first television set when I was a boy was the size of the Fire's screen and I don't see any sense in going "back to the future" when I can view movies on my large screen (36") TV in their original format.  So, that's not a selling point.

From what I can tell, if I go with the Kindle Keyboard 3G I will have the best of both worlds, could download to, and use the reader right out of the box. Both offer access to the Net and Email.  Both are quite tempting. Both offer free shipping.

Before my tiny brain exploded, I checked out availability of authors in the Kindle format (or whatever it's called) and was amazed by my findings. There are  hundreds of thousands of titles that are free or less than $5. to download. C. S Lewis, Anne McCaffrey, Charles Williams, Robert Heinlein, Melville, Twain, Tolkien, and on and on.  Very exciting, since I would like to read many of them again, but have no room for a huge library of books.  My mind became quite numb and I finally shutdown the computer and went to bed with way too much information sloshing around in my skull. 

 Slept like a stone and woke refreshed, skipped a coffee but had an oatmeal while cranking up the computer. Transferred the SSA monies into the savings account this morning; afterward, I felt relieved and a little sad. Their tiny screw up could become a real SNAFU if I'm not careful for the next few months.  I know, I'm paranoid.  But that doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

The heavy rain pounded on the skylights as I dressed to make a dash for the supermarket.  I didn't want to leave at all, but items on the list couldn't wait another week.  Of course, the rain was a drizzle as I carted it all back to the apartment, everything soaking wet - me included. The rain came down again a few minutes later and I felt relieved that it got done early; the rain has been a steady downpour ever since. As the Pet Shop Boys song goes, "Home and Dry!"

So...If you're an avid reader and have experience with a Kindle, I'd appreciate any feedback you care to offer. I know friend Peter has the Kindle DX with the larger screen, but that one is way beyond my budget.  Who am I kidding?  They are all beyond my budget until June or July.

I am off to iron shirts and slacks for the work week ahead while listening to light jazz on the Victrola Sony.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. As you said, you only use it for books, go for the cheaper one.

    You also don't have to buy all books @ Amazon, there are many online e-book sellers who also offer Kindle-format books. [.mobi or .prc]

    Maybe you even can add PDF books to the type of Kindle you want to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still faithful to paperback!!! :)

    I live 10 minutes away from my borough library so... And all the burough library in Montreal are linked toghether so if I need a book that is in another library, I just make it shipped over at mine and BINGO! And I can have them for up to 3 months (including renewals that I can do from home!!!)

    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...