Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Humans are Pretty Good People.

Arrived at the supermarket just in time for a meltdown and showdown of sorts. Chicken breasts are on sale for 99 cents per pound - in packages of 3 pounds or more. The store manager, meat manager, butchers, were all involved in this one.  
Seems this nice old lady wanted the sale price, but a smaller package.  That's not how it works.  None of the sales are geared for single or elderly folks with limited storage space and income. 

I half listened as I did my other shopping and eventually moved on checking off my list carefully. Believe it or not, they were still at it when I returned.  You'd think the store manager would just give in and let her have the price on a smaller package.  No, it can't be done.  His hands were tied, poor guy.  It's computerized and the sale price will not kick in over the 3 pound limit. 

I stepped into the middle of all this as I was going to purchase those breasts myself. Received smiles from the manager, meat manager and butchers who know me well, as I grabbed a large package of the breasts. I turned to the woman who was caught between a rock and a hard place, and suggested that she purchase the larger package, take it home and separate the breasts into preferred portions and freeze them. I assured her - with the help of the butcher - that they would freeze well and be more easily managed in the smaller packages. 

She wasn't sold at first, but I explained that I was also single, with limited freezer space, had to choose my sale purchases carefully, and it was the best way to get around the much higher regular prices, (usually $3.00 per pound), that she wouldn't have to shop as often and could plan meals well in advance.  When I told her that I'd share a few quick recipes with her, she was thrilled with the idea. She bought a very large package and the management shared a sigh of relief.  I promised to get those recipes to her asap.  We exchanged info.

I spent some time enlightening the manager about the unfairness of many of the sales. Turns out, he had never even thought about the discrepancy before. An 8 pack of paper towels on sale for $6.00 while a 2-pack was $3.00. Not many of us have room for such a huge package, so we're actually subsidizing the sale by paying full price for the small packages. 

We eventually parted ways and by the time I was at the checkout the incident was known by the entire staff. They all teased me and asked for recipes and the like.  It was fun really, and I enjoy their humor and friendliness.

After brutally heavy rains overnight the sky is clear and the temps are in the 50s today, only adding to the feeling of well-being.  Unfortunately, I am still short of breath most of the time these days, so a walk on the beach is not an  option.  Still a few minutes on a bench at the boardwalk listening to the ocean will do a lot of good today.

So far - the fifth day on the new corticosteroid - there's been no adverse side effects to speak of. I was told that my appetite would increase, but that hasn't happened, yet.

Maybe it's the change in weather, but I've got a sudden craving for a Mint Julep.  Ha!  Fat chance.

And so it goes.
*


7 comments:

  1. well hush mah mouf! a mint julep. I'd like a hurricane myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your case, an uptick in the appetite would be a good thing!
    You did well diffusing that situation......more flies with honey than vinegar and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always the helpful peacemaker. You make me proud. I wouldn't mind some of those recipes myself. You are writing much happier these days. A good sign that you've climbing up again.
    WP

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great to be helpful. What I thought was going to happen, was the two of you splitting the large package. I hope she bought good FREEZER bags and will press all the air out, to avoid freezer burn.

    Fortunately, I have the space to buy in bulk. In my garage, I have built in an additional pantry area and I have a small chest style freezer in the garage as well. I try to buy everything only when it is on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your blog for years without commenting:-) I hope you the health stuff goes superb because I need you to keep bloggin

    ReplyDelete
  6. when I visit you next month we can have a mint julep together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm still around, that sounds like a lovely idea. Still a little early for fresh mint, though.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...