Thursday, February 20, 2014

Wicked - Frozen

No, this isn't a post about recent winter weather (although it could be), it's more of a comparison about a similarity of 2 songs.  From 2 very different times, by 2 very different composers, and from 2 different art forms.

Let me explain.  As I was reading all the hoopla over the songs nominated for Oscars this year for Best Song, I happened upon the video of the song from Frozen.  "Let It Go" is a powerful, enchanting, magical, and mostly a song of determination and power.

As I watched and listened, I was suddenly in a flashback and immediately thought of another song. That song, "Defying Gravity" from the Broadway Musical "Wicked" is pretty much all of what I described above about "Let It Go" - at least to my mind.

The single thing the 2 songs have in common is that they are both vehicles for the fabulous Idina Menzel.  When I viewed the Frozen video, though the animated character is physically opposite of the real life Menzel, I could see her singing that song. 

I listened to the songs side by side, eyes closed, and the similarities just wouldn't go away.  Now, I don't know anything about Frozen, so I'm not aware of the context of "Let It Go", but I DO know that "Defying Gravity" centers on Elphaba (the green witch) coming to accept, embrace her powers - for good or evil.

Both songs are mesmerizing in their way, and I'd love to see Frozen (without lots of kids) to finally put my curiosity to rest. 

Here are videos of each song.  Defying Gravity sung in concert by Idina Menzel, of course. I chose this one because it is a solo, without the distractions of other performers interfering with the bottom line - the song.


And here the song Let It Go in context in the animated film, Frozen.  



You decide.  If you don't knoe either song, that's even better. What's your opinion? Any comments and additional insights will be happily accepted.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I came to the same conclusion after seeing the movie Frozen. Instead of friends like Elphaba and Glinda, they are sisters in Frozen. Very similar stories. With Idina singing big song of empowerment and change in both, it's hard NOT to see the similarities.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...