Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Every Day that Comes, Comes Once in a Lifetime.

I really needed to look for more stove top cooked recipes. I was getting bored, already. So I did some searching and came up with a few that read as delicious. Now all I have to do is find the proper pan for this project to be complete. My storage space is very limited. So, I went hunting this morning and didn’t find anything appropriate around here.

Meanwhile, as I was driving into town, an old song from an obscure Broadway show from the 60s popped into my head and took up residence. I was amazed that I still recalled the lyrics as I began to sing out-loud – windows down – warm breezes swirling through the car. I have not heard that song, or anything else from the score in about 20 years.

The show: Subways Are For Sleeping. (I said it was obscure, didn’t I?)

Songs: Betty Comden, Adolf Green, and Jule Styne.

Anyway, the song intruding into my morning consciousness is titled “Once in a Lifetime.” As the day is now ending I feel that I must put these lyrics down, so I don’t forget them again (there is a tie-in to my session with the therapist, but that’s below) so here are some:

Every day, just goes along dawn to sundown,
Here’s the rundown,
Every day that comes, comes once in a lifetime.

Take each day, and that the moments in it.
Fill each minute,
Every day that comes, comes once in a lifetime.

Think of now, tomorrow is waiting in the wings,
Who knows what it brings,
While the future waits, the present swings.

So take each day and gather the romance in it.
Fill each minute
Every day that comes, comes once in a lifetime

Only once come this particular sky,
Only once these precious hours will fly
Only once this incredible day goes by,
So live, live, live….
Today.

At least that’s what I can remember. So…I'm having a session with the therapist and this song becomes the background theme of my life today. No, really. It did!

As we talked (I talked – he shared) I discovered that I had been diligently working on old programs trying to rid myself of their presence and toxicity and that I was essentially singing this song because I have begun to live in the present; the NOW! No wonder I’ve been so exhausted lately – it wasn’t just from work, it was all the internal stuff, too.

I left the session hovering a few inches off the ground.

It’s October 23 and the temps are in the upper 70s with a delightful breeze coming in off the ocean. Everyone is in shorts and tee shirts. I took a walk on the boardwalk, ran into a few folks from my previous life that seemed a bit shocked by my relaxed and open countenance. They didn’t say much, and I didn’t offer much. They seemed distracted. At least they said “hello”!

I came home, sat by the (now closed-for-the-winter pool) and read for a time while listening to the wind rustle through the changing leaves. I am now ready for a shower and getting dinner started. And I still need to find that damned pan sometime soon.

More later.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...