Sunday, October 7, 2007

A Lovely Day for a Funeral

Woke up this morning later than usual, having watched The Two Towers from the LOTR Trilogy last evening.

So, I made coffee and cranked up the PC to check email and find out what was in the news. I was online for about 15 minutes when the hard drive began making clanking sounds and I knew there was a problem. I tried to backup all my files, but the disk was failing and wouldn’t allow me to do anything. It was dying and then... died. (insert taps here)

And of course, when I tried to reboot, no OS disk was found. It was my worst nightmare. Fortunately, I had done a backup last month, so not all is lost.

Well, this system was built about 7 or 8 years ago and has certainly done its job. May it rest in peace. I hope to salvage what I can to use in the new system.

So, the day was spent driving around checking out sales and which systems were sold CPU only. Not many.

The possibility of a laptop was in play, but I finally decided on a desktop CPU, that would fill my needs well.

Four hours later I return home with the box and spend another hour and a half getting MS Vista to cooperate and not try to sell me things for which I have no need.

First I installed the Internet software, and then got online to download the anti-virus software, and the latest drivers for my laser printer. (VISTA refused to read and install the drivers from the CD,)

There was some trepidation as to whether the older programs I use would be compatible with VISTA. I held my breath as I began the install process. So far all programs I need for work have been installed without a problem. Whether I can use them is another story. Stay tuned.

One step forward – Three steps back for today. I am exhausted.

I was supposed to meet friends for dinner tonight, but after all this it is not possible, I have more software to install and test which will take another few hours.

More later.

*

1 comment:

  1. What a bummer. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I had to have the new machine set up by a pro, and I had not been smart enough to make a backup of my files, so I had to pay a firm here in NY to try to recover my stuff. He did, but it cost me almost the same as the new machine.

    Good luck with the new machine, and write sometime about your thoughts on MS Vista. I find it slow and too busy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...