Friday, December 12, 2008

Bernstein and Growing Gardens

As I began to stir beneath the covers this morning; delighting the luxury of that pain free moment, this song started playing in my head. And it’s stayed there all day.

It’s the finale from Candide (one of my favourite show scores) and although I can hum or sing it alone without emotion, as soon as I hear it performed chills run through my body, goose bumps rise on my arms, and tears fill my eyes. I like that very much.

Sadly Uncle Lenny is no longer with us; the same for Jerry Hadley, but what they left us with – oh boy.

This is from the December 1989 concert version with Jerry Hadley and June Anderson singing, Lenny conducting the orchestra and chorus. Bernstein would be dead by October 1990, so this has to be his last word on a most beloved musical score, which he picked at and tweaked for about 3 decades. 'Make Our Garden Grow' Enjoy.



The rain finally stopped and the sun is out. All in all, a pretty good day. Haven't taken any pain meds today, and that's a very good sign. Looks to be a beautiful weekend.
And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, I remember Barbara Cook in the original. Now that's a voice. It is interesting this piece seems so appropriate for the country at this time. God help us.
    Thanks for posting this.

    BT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the song, but the best news of the post was that you did not have to take the pain meds!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...