Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Is This a Flashback to Christmas 1931?

Sales were down this Holiday season, as expected, even on Christmas Eve.
I have never seen people with such visible despair written, not only on their faces, but deep in their eyes. We’re all scared, some terrified of what the New Year will bring.

A few observations of this holiday season here on the Delmarva Peninsula:

Families are coming together more often.
There is more sharing among friends and neighbors.
Almost everyone I’ve spoken with is attending church services regularly and plan to attend Christmas services tonight, or Christmas day
All the flotsam and jetsam items in the ‘seasonal’ aisle are selling for up to 80% off, and the shelves remain full and virtually untouched.
Sales of Holiday cakes, pies, and cookies are way down. There is an end cap devoted to these baked goods at drastically reduced prices.
Born after WWll, I listened to stories from my grandparents about how folks survived the depression in Louisiana and how many of those habits continued as life got better for everyone. Bottom line was - - take nothing for granted - - everything can be gone in minutes, and it was. That message has stayed with me all these years.

Single now after the demise of a 30-year relationship I have found how easy it has been to slip back into the simple life. Granted it was initially difficult to adjust; especially while dealing with the trauma and loss, but ultimately I found my way back to the bottom line.

I suppose I am as safe as anyone else right now. So, cheers! Let’s get through the holidays and New Years Eve, to see what we’re up against.

No matter what the future holds for us all, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and let’s all lift a glass to 2009. God knows we need and deserve it.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Good positive attitude. That is what is needed most at this time of impending doom. Well, maybe that was a little dramatic. We are definitely in a downturn, first time that I can remember in my lifetime. As Bette so famously said "Fasten your seat belts, we're gonna have a bumpy ride!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. One message I got from my parents and grandparents who lived through the Depression was that life was hard, but life was good because they had each other. Maybe this little episode will knock some sense into our materialistic heads.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...