Friday, December 5, 2008

A Most Surprising Day.

Knowing that the laundry desperately needed to be done, I knocked back a painkiller and muscle relaxant early last evening. I was awake at dawn – which I love – and feeling rested for the first time in days.

Update: the three ladybugs that were flying around the place yesterday were dead this morning. (sigh) Thanks for all your comments, guys. Maybe the ladybugs granted my wish for a restful sleep.

Depressed and dreading having to carry the heavy laundry bag to the car I figured there was nothing else but to get it over with. Carrying anything heavy causes more back pain with shooting stars filling my eyes. Just in case, I took a painkiller with me.

Not a soul at the Laundromat means there is no tale to tell this time, and while I was out anyway, I made a short list of other errands I could get out of the way so I could hunker down at the apartment and rest.

The last stop was to check the PO box, as I hadn’t done so in about a week. As I shuffled through bills and junk mail, I discovered a notice from the PO informing me that something was being held for me – either a package too big for the box, an item with postage due, or one requiring my signature. I was puzzled and apprehensive; praying that it wasn’t from the hospital demanding payment in full.

I presented the notice to my buddy Rick who returned with a box, so I knew it wasn’t bad news.

I said, “but I didn’t order anything.” He smiled and said, “Well someone did, so enjoy.” It was obvious that he was dying for me to open it right then and there, but being a bit stunned by this unusual situation, in significant discomfort, and trying to get back to the apartment ASAP, I simply took the package and headed for the apartment.

To say that the box contained an elixir to boost my spirits would be an understatement. It contained things that are in short supply in the world these days; kindness, generosity, and amity. Things from my wish list. I’ll be enjoying a coffee as I listen to some new (old) music.

Thank you Peter, as if sharing your delicious recipes were not enough, you will never know how much I appreciate your kindness, and dare I say, friendship.

More later.

*

3 comments:

  1. Despite the pain, it sounds like you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Peter the Dutchman send you a St. Nick's present?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely surprise. I did miss the juicy laundromat story, though.
    Just kidding.
    Enjoy whatever the music is and get better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...