Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday Blessings and Angst.

In a weather rerun, this morning was as cold as yesterday, thankfully the winds died down overnight, thanks be to G*d. As I drove into town the sunrise was so striking I wanted to take a walk on the boardwalk, but settled on checking the PO box instead, then drove to work. Today was to be gift exchange day – the last time we will work together until after Christmas.

My grandmother’s Pumpkin Bread recipe has been in demand by my coworkers for years and as I no longer have a stove/oven, if they were going to taste it again there had to be some preplanning, manipulating, appliance borrowing, and a free day to do the deed. It worked out same as last year, only in a different home with a different oven, and the Kitchen Aid almost didn’t make it – until the last minute. The homeowner entertained (humored) me making mean Whiskey Sours, telling funny Christmas jokes, so that by the time the breads were cooled and wrapped I was ready for a nap. I made 6 loaves this year; three for the coworkers, one for my landlady, and two for the post office employees. The logistics of finding a place to make the pumpkin bread becomes more of a challenge with each passing year.

Then last night, having a sudden brain cramp of creativity, I had a craving for hummus. Don’t ask. I get cravings – always have. So I brought out the small Cuisinart, tossed in garbanzos, garlic, black and white pepper, a little olive oil and…roasted red peppers. I made a batch large enough to give it as an additional gift to the coworkers. I hope they like it as much as I do.

Anyhoo…

Shoppers were buzzing in and out of the store, but choosing their purchases carefully. Everyone seemed to be in high spirits. My every encounter was a good one, some funny, others almost giddy. Regular customers already suffering because of the economy, stopped by to offer holiday wishes; some sharing their take on what is happening and wondering how they will get through this difficult time.
As I said, high spirits, but there is an undercurrent of anxiety – more questions than answers – clueless as to whether there will be a job for them come January 2, 2009.

I share their concerns.

We are all vulnerable. Yes, some more than others.

And thanks to Madoff, it will be a long time before many that were rich, are rich again.
I have never been a ‘Let’s Celebrate New-Years-Eve’ kind of guy and over the past 2 years I find that sleeping through the ‘celebrations’ and waking on the morning of the New Year gives me hope without the hangover. Can I get an Amen?

I am bracing for the final onslaught tomorrow and plan to keep my sensahumah no matter what happens. I see a deep purple feather boa in my future. Heh,heh.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Preach it, brotha! (I usually go to bed about 9 on NYE!)

    And pumpkin bread! We made 8 mini-loaves the night before last. We too will give them as gifts (keeping one for ourselves). Our recipe is from a sweet elderly lady whom I met shortly after college. We may have to arrange our oven to be free for use by a certain cajun next year and arrange travel so that we can have a pumpkin bread bake off!

    May you have a very happy holiday - whether you find that boa or not!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...