Monday, December 15, 2008

Channeling Noel Coward: I Went to a Marvelous Musical!

If you visit here with any regularity you probably know I have been dreading the holidays this year for many reasons, not the least of which due to the large hospital bills received following that adventure to the ER last month. A payment plan is in the works and I am praying for some relief in the coming year.

I've been more like Bah-Hum-F**k than Merry-Ho-Ho, if you get my drift. But then, a surprise gift arrived that warmed my heart followed by lower back pain relief of these past few days. No pain killers for two days now.

On Friday an email arrived announcing performances of an original musical ‘Scrooge’ by a local theatre company. I saw the original at the premiere four years ago, but this revival boasted new songs and a friend in the role of Ebenezer Scrooge. I like to support local artists and the arts in general, so I called about availability – there were seats only for the Sunday matinĂ©e. I made reservations for two.

I called the woman I work with (who has mixed feelings about local theatre) and invited her to join me, saying ‘you won’t be sorry.’ To my great surprise and delight she accepted.

OT: Did I mention that I live in a small resort town? Turns out I knew 4 other cast members, two musicians, and the woman in the box office is a customer of mine.

Anyhoo: It was a minimalist production, just enough set to accent the performances allowing use of imagination. The new music was a joy. The role of Tiny Tim was played by an Asian boy with a voice and smile that could stop time. The ensemble cast was terrific and my friend was an amazingly believable as Ebenezer.

In order to keep up momentum there was no intermission. A good call, too. The almost 90 minutes seemed to fly by and suddenly it was curtain calls and house lights.

My guest was suitably impressed, wondering how she could have missed this group for so long. We shared a holiday hug, returned to our vehicles and went our separate ways.

I caught myself humming Christmas carols on the drive back to the apartment. That made me laugh out loud. I don't know how long this feeling will last, but for now I am enjoying the memories of Christmas Past. That alone is worth the price of admission.

And so it goes.

*

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read that you were ought among 'em and sharing a bit of enjoyment with another. I think your gift to your friend came back to bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dickens.
    He would be pleased as punch at least one of his stories remains popular to the masses. Scrooge is a marvelous story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to go. Why didn't you invite me to go with you? I have no doubt that your friend was perfect as Ebenezer Scrooge. I believe he is a great untapped talent. So what am I? Chopped liver?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed my performance and that the show was a pleasant surprise. I'm sorry that I didn't know you were there as I would have liked to have seen you, despite the way I look after a show! Only two more days and I can get a haircut and shave these ridiculous muttonchops off my face.

    Have a happy holiday.
    doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemuel: You're right, it did come back as a blessing.

    Ur: This has always been my fave Dickens tale. Makes me re-evaluate my own life.

    Ron: I thought you were working, or you would have been invited. But, why couldn't attend anyway?

    Doug: I was not surprised by the show since I attended the first performance 4 years ago. You were - hands down - the best Ebenezer I've seen. Sorry we didn't connect, but be prepared for a hug when next we meet.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...