Monday, December 1, 2008

Just Another Train Wreck

HELP!!!

Having worked three very long days this weekend I was looking forward to dining out with friends last evening, but there was a surprise waiting back at the apartment. An envelope arrived from the hospital containing a bill with itemized charges due as a result of my Emergency Room visit two weeks ago.

Though the ER doctor reprimanded me for not dialing 911, I am glad I didn’t because it would have added another $900.00 to the already over a thousand dollars total on the bill I held in my shaking hands.

Epic crash ensued that made me realize that I couldn’t bring myself to spend money on a glass of wine and dinner after receiving this shocker. So, I made dinner and spent the evening reading and listening to the rain lashing against the big windows. It was relaxing and as the rain intensified I was grateful not to be out in it, though I did miss the time with my friends.

I am off today resting the back as much as possible because I’ll be working long hours the next three days in a row. I put in a call to the hospital to set up a payment plan that I can deal with and awaiting a return call.

It’s been two weeks and as the pain has subsided somewhat, I am only pain-free when I wake up in the morning. As I begin moving and preparing for work the pain is back. And all the bending and stooping I do throughout the day doesn’t help matters.

I applied for a part time holiday job with five companies I know and respect, just one or two days weekly would be helpful. Local businesses are not hiring holiday help. The economy here is that bad.

It’s the usual – blather, rinse and repeat.

And so it goes.

*

3 comments:

  1. Back pain is a bitch! The bills are insult added to injury! I hope both the pain and the bills go away quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bad sign when places don't want holiday help.
    Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about the emergency room bill. Work out a payment plan with them. I have found that your hospital (the same one I went to) works with you. You'll just be paying a little longer, that's all. Thank goodness it wasn't a bill for THOUSANDS. I thought mine was bad at almost $4,000 until a friend of mine told me his was $16,000!!!!!!!! It doesn't need to be said but medical care in this country is a disgrace. Still, you have to live your life. Don't deprive yourself of one of your small pleasures like dining out with friends once a week. A suggestion, look into getting a front desk job at a hotel with full benefits. It's not hard work. You just have to be there. The season is slow now but when it picks up in the Spring, apply at the many ads that will appear (as they always do in the Spring at the beginning of the tourist season.) Hotel work saved my life when I was out of a job. It provided income plus FULL HEALTH coverage. It's time to take the bull by the horns and take care of yourself. And besides, you would not only be good at the front desk you would enjoy it. It is a trip. The only downside is that you'll see more nutcases than you do in your present job. But you know how to handle them. Just show them your pearly whites and kill them with kindness. It works every time.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...