Friday, February 12, 2010

The Blizzards (so far) of 2010 - Part 1

I may edit this later, but just grateful to be back in my own space, with my own bed, and just too tired right now.

Feb. 05. 2010 - See previous post below.

Feb. 06. 2010 - Lost electric power at 3:20 am meaning no heat or water - hot or cold - so I hunkered down. By daybreak, such as it was, there was that dreaded "winter mix" of precipitation which changed to all snow as the day wore on. By Evening the gusting winds sounded like freight trains rumbling through. Snowed in, nowhere to go, and listening to a small radio for updates - - there are 36,000 homes without power with more expected as the heavy mix brings down power lines. Flying snow and ice clumps crash into the outer walls of the building, scaring the crap out of me.
Living with beaucoup lighted candles (thanks Martha Stewart, I think!) and closing off the other rooms kept the main room above freezing, at least.
Constructed a festive single burner cook top that only a gay man could conceive.  I' ll add pictures later.  Heated soup and stew. You had to be here.  Well, no actually, glad you were not here.

Feb. 07.2010 - Slept under layers of blankets and comforters and woke to sunshine, less wind; thereby expecting the apartment to warm up as the sun always does. It did, but not enough. I was unable to dig out and work that day so I dug as much as I could - careful not to damage my back anymore than it already is and waited for a plow out which, when it came was not from the state or county, but from a neighbor with a frontloader.
Tired, sore, cold, hungry, and feeling very alone I heated an evening meal, grabbed more covers and went to sleep.

Feb.08. 2010 - The apartment is literally freezing.  The snow I scooped into a pitcher last evening to use for washing and toothbrushing remains snow and ice.  I am in trouble!
 I telephone the boss explaining my situation - that I can work my shift but need a place to warm up and sleep until the power is restored. He tells me to get the hell out of there, and meet him for breakfast at the other restaurant and we'll figure it out from there.
The hot coffee, eggs, bacon, and toast were like manna. To suddenly be warm was a shock for my body. It took hours to stop shaking, to take deep breaths, to feel my toes again.
During my shift it was determined that I would be staying at the home of another employee and that there would be 3 of us rooming together. The house mother is another host at the restaurant and the other roomie is a server, who just as I, had no utilities or water.  Though we don't know one another well, we got along as old friends.  Thanks be to G*d for that!

Feb. 09.2010 - Covered for the other host who couldn't get dug out to work the shift. Bracing for a duplicate of last weekend. And, sure enough it comes. Snow falls heavily all evening as the winds shift into high gear. Almost white-out conditions finally force the issue state-wide.

 Feb 10. 2010 - State of Emergency in place making travel by anyone other than emergency personnel subject to a heavy fine. Many unsure whether to believe the histrionics from the weather casters. Still, the decision was made to open the restaurant and so there we were. Two hours later, the city decided (thanks to someone wise rather than someone greedy) to close down in order to clear as much snow off the Avenue as possible - - preparing for the big 3-holiday weekend.
Meanwhile back at the apartment, we celebrated with Bombay Sapphire Gin, roasted chicken breasts in a creamy mushroom sauce, salad, and garlic bread.  Not bad.
This was followed by copious amounts of wine as we giggled and laughed as the weather morons continued to tap dance they're way through the mess as the snow mounted and roads were impassible.

That will do for now. Part two will follow soon.  It's great to be on my own space, my own bed, enjoying my own crazy. Can I get an Amen.

Thanks to all who have been concerned, commented, and offered prayers. I am very blessed.

And so it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Thank God, you're save.

    I'm really glad the bosses helped out the stranded staff, like yourself. It's also a form of bonding and as you said so yourself not one of greed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to have your report and to know that you are safely back in your space. I frequently wondered how you were doing. We got dumped on, but not nearly as bad as you folks. We all desire so much and think our lives cannot be livable without [insert luxury item here]. As you noted, how quickly our fortunes can change! How quickly a warm meal is manna itself! Or basic heat and running water are the luxuries that we crave. And how we find comfort and shelter among friends that we did not know we had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you're ok and had people to help out. Being a Cajun fellow myself, I'm not sure I'd know what to do if I were alone and snowed in without electricity. Scary.

    I'm reminded of one particular time as a kid riding out a hurricane. My mother decided we needed a craft project to distract us. So we made pillar candle holders out of stacked baby food jars. Each end had an inverted glass ashtray. Then the whole thing got painted avocado green, I suppose natural dangers/disasters bring out the creativity in people.

    Again, glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and good wishes guys, I don't know how much more of this we can take. There is a new storm in the forecast for Monday night into Tuesday which may send many of us - yes, me included - over the edge.

    Peter - yes, there certainly was plenty of bonding and with not a professed "friend" in sight.

    Lem - I've learned that I need less and less to enjoy life. Stuff is just, well, stuff.

    Hayward - Having to ride out many hurricanes in my youth I remember making papier mache projects which later reminded me of the tense, even frightening moments of that particular storm.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...