Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Blizzards (so far) of 2010 - Part 2

Feb. 11.2010 - Still no electricity at the apartment and no plow has touched the road, so no way to get back, anyway.  House mother takes me to work then a server friend drives me back to her house as she arrives as my replacement for the dinner crowd. Restaurant opens at regular time as the phone rings off the hook with folks grateful to know we are open. This is more than cabin fever; more like a nightmare pneumonia and everyone wants out. Very busy lunch crowd and everyone with a troubling story regarding these recent storms. Attempted to dig out my car, but that was futile. Got stuck in the middle of the road at one point, saved only by neighbors who helped push me back into the icy spot. Fell twice and hurt my heel, but thankfully no further damage to the back. Too tired to cook, so a sandwich is supper followed by a shower and bed. Peanut butter and jelly is our friend!

Feb. 12. 2010 - House mother takes server to her daytime gig at 5 am, then carts me to the restaurant at 10:30. Primary streets are pretty clear so diners pounce on the warmth and glowing colours of the place - decorated for Mardi Gras - and the margaritas flow like the waters of spring. Remember Spring?
The sun shines in a clear sky and the winds mercifully die down. I get a call telling me that the electricity is back on and one lane of my road has been plowed.  My car (with the help of another friend) is miraculously freed from the icy prison. I can go home.
The single lane is scary, flanked by walls of snow and ice over 6 feet high. I have never seen this before. Driveway is not clear, so parking on the road is the only option. Walking through snow and ice 2 feet high is not pleasant especially with the damaged foot, but I make it only to find the steps to the apartment are sheets of ice, half inch thick.  Slow going. Once inside there is such relief I can cry and I do.
Bring in and restore frozen food in ice chest from deck. Take hot shower and make calls to let folks know I've survived and have arrived back at the apartment.
Unpack and while enjoying a martini make list of necessities to pick up tomorrow before and after work. The next day off isn't until next Tuesday and yes, that means 2 weeks without a day off.
Yet another PB & J for supper and it's off to bed.

Feb 13. 2010 - Grabbed a few essentials before heading in to work. Sky is gray and threatening - looks and feels like snow - but the forecast last evening called for highs in the upper 30s.  Radio forecast this morning calls for a 40% chance of snow today. I almost drive into a snowbank from the shock.
Side roads and many developments remain un-plowed making it impossible for residents to get to and from jobs, store, etc. Some folks have not left their homes for over a week. This is just nuts and unacceptable in my book.
Busy day at work with more people suffering from cabin fever as the reservations were pouring in for tonight and tomorrow. I had a great staff working lunch today so all went smoothly; not that anyone much cared, being grateful to be out among the living was enough. Anyway, it all kept my mind off the possibility of more white stuff.
Stayed for an after-shift cocktail before heading back to the apartment. Very relaxing. Decided to cook up a ginger, beef  and veggie stir-fry for supper then settle in to watch some of the Olympics before crashing.
Valentine's Day is going to be an extremely hectic day and (G*d knows) I need more rest.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a reprieve from the one that is headed our way tonight. Small potatoes. Actually worse to our north and west.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...