Monday, July 4, 2011

A Fractured Fourth & Jules Feiffer

It's the Fourth of July and what am I doing?

While everyone around me is out celebrating, buying drinks for friends and family; dressed up in some red-white-blue kitschy costume; I limped home from work following a delightful day with customers and a few folks from the neighborhood who stopped by to visit.

As everyone else is dining on patriotic July 4th specials, I am home cooking up a sausage, mushroom, and potato supper with a Greek salad. Yes, we're celebrating solid foods again!

Many others will be on the beach or hotel rooftops to watch the fireworks this evening, cocktails in hand and dear ones close by.  I will be taking my next dose of antibiotic and watching a favorite old film on DVD, though no decision has been made yet on that choice.

All in all, I think I have the better deal.

With all the ugly stuff we're doing in the world and to our country I am feeling less celebratory about the USA right now.

If I remember this one correctly - by Jules Feiffer from a cartoon in the Village Voice way back in the late 60s:
I pledge a million
to the indicted states of america
and to the corruption for which it stands,
one nation, under guard
with liberty inoperative for all.
And so it goes. 
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...