Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shop, Schlep, & Share.

Three things a gay man of a certain age ought to do every chance he gets.

The better part of today was devoted to something for which I seldom have time (or money) to enjoy.  Shop for clothes; work drag, and comfortable shoes, in particular!

Having ruined 3 pair of black and navy blue slacks at work to white salt stains from sweating in the heat while the front doors were open for "open air" dining, even in this heatwave, I decided to shop for new ones.   I found only one pair close to my size - I am shrinking and my inseam is an inch shorter than last year. I could only find a 29" in my waist size. For some reason, all 28" inseam trousers were available only in 36+" waist sizes.

Last night I noticed a large crack in the sole of a pair of work shoes, probably caused by the floor cleaning products, since the shoes are less than a year old and show little wear on soles or heels. They were the most comfortable shoes I had and cherished for those really busy weekend and holiday shifts. Sigh.

So, I took myself to the Rockport store in hope of finding another pair.  No such luck.  But I did find a very nice pair very different from anything I've ever owned and a lot of fun. Oh, and so light, snug, and comfortable.  I almost wore them out of the store.

Shopped for a new Mandolin Slicer (the one purchased last year, while compact, is now as dull as a nose-picking blind-date).  Found nothing worthy and moved on.

Stopped for necessities at the market before heading back home and was fortunate enough to find everything on the short list, which made me a very happy, if over-heated, camper.

Yes both heat and humidity are back big-time with a kind of stagnent air dangerous to the elderly and those with respiratory problems.

Back home I noticed the landlord's workmen doing their thing in the apartment behind mine and was told there was a possibility of new tenants, so they were prepping the place - painting, cleaning, and polishing floors.  There is no electricity in the place and they looked bedraggled.

 After I emptied the car and all was stored away, I took a few beers (from the 12-pack purchased last week), plastic cups, and a pitcher of iced water over to them just as they were to break for lunch. Their eyes lit up and the smiles went from ear to ear.

They were grateful for the gesture and it made me feel real good, too.

More later.
*

2 comments:

  1. When shopping at the outlet stores for Reebok and Rockport, you are now eligible for a senior citizen discount/AARP. Ask for it and they will give you the better price of either their current sale or the senior citizen prices. I purchase all of my walking sneakers at Reebok. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had in my life. They are also the only shoes I've ever worn out.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...