Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Medical Miracle, But No Spielberg

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...No, wait.  Let's not.

Dental Update: Arrived at the appointed time for the surgery (my grandfather called it "Open Mouth Surgery") and all went smoothly.  Straight away I was whisked to the surgery cubicle, shot up with Novocaine, and the procedure began. Every detail went according to the dentist's plan and he was out of my mouth (now stop that!) in about 1.5 hours.

There was an opening in the hygienist department, so I was shuttled over to have my teeth cleaned and, oh, did that feel good.  Though I was still numb when I left the building I felt no soreness or pain.  Not even a twinge.  But, I was still numb, so I was on guard.

Did a quick bit of grocery shopping for the next 2 weeks and made my way home in traffic that was almost as bad and the holiday weekend had been. Jeez!  I was glad to get the buggy and me off the roads. I missed the farmers market again, but that's OK, the humidity was horrid.

"Don't Worry" Update: As posted earlier, I called the PCP's office to get the results of those tests performed THREE weeks ago.  The nurse began by going off on me about Hepatitis antibodies and that they had never shown up in any blood work before... I stopped her mid-sentence saying I wanted to speak with the doctor.

So he gets on the line and asks pretty much the same questions.  Then he went silent.  He began again slowly by saying, "ah, you've never had hepatitis, but your Ex had it before you knew him."

Yes, he did - about a year prior to our meeting.  "So, the antibodies are likely from your physical/sexual contact with him over the 30 years"  says the Doctor,  who then explained he'd been referring to the Ex's chart.  Yes, we have the same doctor - and the only explanation he could offer was my compromised immune system after the hospitalization due to the polymyositis a while back was the likely reason for the new results. Another $367.00 spent to find out what was already in a chart, if not the Dr's mind.

So my Ex has left me with another legacy.  Charming. Just Charming.

Thank G*d I didn't worry!

Meanwhile I have had not pain or discomfort from the open mouth surgery and, though I must continue  taking the antibiotic, I look forward to this weekend when I can finally enjoy a few olives with my new smile.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. Time to change Dr's, but taking the chart with you because all is in it already?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it feel to have a sore mouth...again. It's a compliment dear, a COMPLIMENT! Don't you dare delete this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, whoever you have sex with you also have sex with EVERYONE they have had sex with. EVERYONE. I've been there my dear, painful and embarrassing lesson. Not one that I plan to repeat in my lifetime. I hope your test come back negative (or positive - whichever is best for you).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Peter: There is little "chart" to speak of in the physical sense. Everything is on computers. Everything! Finding a new PCP may be difficult because many are no longer taking Medicare patients, but the hunt begins.

    @Ron: This surgery (if you read the post - you filthy-minded beast - was painless during and after the fact.
    Your second comment makes no sense to me, but thanks for the proposed lesson.
    Oh, and just to let you know, I NEVER experienced such as you describe. You are projecting again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Open mouth surgery" - teehee. Too cute. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...