Sunday, July 3, 2011

Insensitive and Unhelpful: An Update

Back on June 20, I received a phone call regarding some blood work done in May as part of a 6-month follow-up. I was instructed to have more blood (and other) work ASAP.  Then told "nothing serious and nothing to worry about." 

On June 22, as posted here, I received another call reminding me that the doctor would have the results by that Friday (the 24th) but no word as to when (or if) those results would be shared with me.

I was also told once again that there was nothing to worry about.  All right, already, so I'm not worrying.

Total silence until a message on voicemail yesterday afternoon (yes, July 2nd!) saying the results were in and I should call on Monday to speak with the doctor.  Surely, the office is closed on The Fourth of July!  It boggles the mind to think how insensitive and unhelpful so-called professionals can be. So now I have no need to worry for 2-more-days to hear the results and hopefully, what they initially thought was amiss.

With the glowing assessment of my physical self by the new dentist, I feel I have even less to think of worrying about.

If this is the kind of attention and service I receive when paying out of pocket, what do I have to look forward to in years to come under Medicare?

Pardon me, but I want to get off this ride...NOW!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. My doctor uses something called "mychart" and posts all my lab results as soon as she gets them. She can even comment on the post and/or have me set up an appointment online. It's wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has worked for years in doctors offices and hospitals I can tell you not all doctors conduct their business like that. Let them know this is unacceptable and why. If they don't shape up, find another doctor. It may be "nothing to worry about" to them but it's rarely so for the patient who has to wait.
    Hope you get good news and have a (relatively) happy 4th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tom: I live in Lower Slower Delaware (LSD!) and many medical offices are just now being computerized. Sigh.

    @Charlotte: Thanks for the input and comment. Having lived in NYC for many years I found it difficult to adapt to this primitive medical situation here. I have let them know this matter was handled inappropriately and that I expect better in the future.

    If this happens again, there won't be a future.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...