Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Super-Size Me? Indeed!

As some of you may know I work at a restaurant called Dos Locos in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. The name means "two crazies" and the owners, staff, and customers live up to that name. Every. Single. Day.

It's a place unlike any other in my experience. The owners are generous beyond measure and I am proud to be part of a staff that shares that spirit, giving their time and talents to make some fundraiser, or another, a success.

That said, everyone - including the locosguys - has been eagerly awaiting my return to the daily AS (after shift) cocktail since I have been on an antibiotic for 10 days and unable to imbibe.  So as not to disappoint, after my shift I sat at the bar and ordered my "Bombay Sapphire Martini up with olives" and the barman was happy to oblige.  Even making quite a bit extra in the small shaker, as it turns out.

No sooner had he poured the first bit into my glass and I took a short sip then the boss appeared asking what I was drinking.  "What is that, a Shirley Temple with olives? We can't have that, now can we?" He flashed a wicked grin at me, winked at the barman and filled the large shaker with ice, chilled a large margarita glass (26 oz.!), then proceeded to prepare an exact duplicate of what was in front of me - only super-sized. (See the image above and click to embiggen.) He placed the huge glass next to my smaller 12 oz. one,  filled the larger from the shaker, and poured the smaller drink into the larger glass before emptying the remaining contents of smaller shaker into the large glass, as well.

It took almost 2 hours, adding ice cubes all the time to keep it cold, to get to the bottom of that glass. Meanwhile staff and customers alike would stop and stare (at me, the glass, and back at me) then laugh like hell when told the story. One person actually offered to buy another one for me!  I asked her to come back if I ever have another abscess.

Believe it or not, I walked home under my own power with shouts and applause echoing from the open doors of the restaurant behind me.  Not sure I was walking too straight, but not falling down drunk, either. I'm sure if I seemed too tipsy the boss would have sent someone to drive me home. I smiled and waved at the neighbors on my street, but I do that all the time so no one was the wiser. Unless of course, the walk gave me away.

Took a hot shower when I arrived and made a quick dinner of leftover spare ribs & salad, (I was starving) knocking back copious amounts of iced water in the process.  Slept like a baby and woke feeling refreshed and ready to enjoy my day off.

The temperature is heading toward 98' F here today.  It's  only noon and it's already 92' so whatever I plan will be indoor activities, which may include searching for travel information to New Orleans in the Fall.

More later.
*

4 comments:

  1. My favorite (a Bombay Sapphire martini w/2 large olives... Although having it served in a Margarita sized glass, I think I would have taken the 2nd one too... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tom: It's nice to know another Gin lover. There are so few of us around anymore.
    That said, I don't think I would have made it home under my own power if I had any more.
    @Mark: Trust me, my friend, THAT was more like a wading pool.

    I must say, it was something to remember.

    Thanks for the visit and comments, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was there to witness and take pictures and a video of you walking (?) home. I bet that was a sight. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...