Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Great Un-Expectations

I make every attempt to expect nothing and assume nothing.  Life seems to work out better that way.  Less disappointments in the people who commit to do something and then forget the commitment.

I prefer to give whatever I can and help when asked with no repayment expected. I learned this lesson many years ago, the hard way.  That story is for a future post - maybe.

Anyway,  I'm getting off track here.  After running the few errands and picking up 2 baguettes, I returned home.  Changed clothes again and played Diana Krall as I emptied the contents of the bags into cabinets, and freezer. Then the phone rang. 

Wait. Wait!  Let me backtrack a bit here.

Two weeks ago David, a friend and co-worker, was raving about the miraculous decorating job his girlfriend had done making a comfy outdoor seating area of their small terrace/balcony, as well as another tiny room she refitted as a guest space.  I was intrigued and as he continued talking, said girlfriend arrived to share a cocktail with us.   I could see that she was very pleased that he liked the results of a hobby she very much enjoys. She was glowing.

I said (jokingly) that if she had free time someday, maybe she could stop over to my place and give me a few ideas. [Inside humor, since free time during the season is at a premium and treasured.]  Of course, she said she "would love to stop over and see how she could help" and we all had a good laugh, shared a good-bye hug, and that was that. David and I never talked about it again and I had not seen Jessica since that afternoon. 

Now to the present...The phone rings and it's Jessica.  "I am off today and thought if you were up to it, I could stop by and see if I can be of any help with your living room." Mind you, as stated above, this is the height of the tourist season and most of us get one day off weekly, if that.  Dumbfounded.  Surprised. Thrilled.  I was all three and love being all three.

She arrived an hour later, surveyed the room, furnishings, pictures, wires, electrical outlets.  We removed the boxes of slide trays from the room.  She stood in the middle of the space, turned slowly around making a complete circle then looked at me, smiled, and asked, "do you feel up to moving a few things around?" She explained her idea and off we went. The room was completely disconnected, furnishings moved from place to place, to place, and in an hour the room was re-arranged with everything plugged in and (believe it or not) it actually looks bigger than it really is.

She was in the groove now and wanted to get the pictures and art work up on the walls until I explained that these walls have defied every tool known to me and my friends.  Holes cannot be drilled - the bits break, and those stick-on hook thingys don't work well at all. Jessica smiled and said her dad knew all wall materials of the 20th century and, if I didn't mind, she would come over with him to find out what needed to be done to get my things off the floor.  I said, OK.  She sent him a text.  We'll see.

The other side of the room will feature the TV and 2 IKEA shelf storage units (one still in the box).

It may not be much, but it's mine for now and I am dumbfounded, surprised and thrilled this evening. (Click the image above to embiggen.) Any soreness or pain will be dealt with tomorrow.  The results are well worth it...that's what he says now.

Expect nothing, assume nothing, people do come through, and one can be on the receiving end of very sweet surprises.

I think I smell olives.  That's as it should be, and just in time, too.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Someone else looks at things differently than we do ourselfs. In a way it's the same space but when it looks and feels bigger its an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took one look at your blog picture before I read you blog and thought "Is that Wayne's living room? It cam't be!" Then I read your blog which states that you had a very talented women rearrange your cozy nest. All I can say is FABULOUS! I am VERY IMPRESSED! Some people have that talent for looking at a living space and turning it into something special. That is what your friend did. Absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a philosophy worth considering...
    BTW - I am washing and prepping the fabric as well speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ur-spo: you just made my day that much brighter. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...