Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Best Laid Plans & Medical Arrogance

Today was to be a full and busy one:
  • Appt. for Dental teeth cleaning.
  • Appt. with CU manager re: all accounts and new changes in policy.
  • Sign for and pick-up newly refilled prescriptions.
  • Doctor's appt. for a complete physical.
The dental appointment never happened. Though they called twice (Monday & Tuesday) to verify that I would be prompt and asked that I call to confirm - which I did, both times - they didn't hold up their end.  The appt was for 9:40 am and I was still waiting at 10 am, as others arriving after me were ushered in by the same technicians who could should have taken me. I approached the desk and asked if there was some delay due to an emergency, and was told rather curtly that "the technician will be with you in a moment."  When I returned to my chair, some nasty old woman had already claimed it.  I hope she enjoyed the warmth my butt provided for her.

Another 10 minutes passed and I put my coat on, approached the desk and told the clerk to cancel the appointment, and that I would call to reschedule.  She looked stricken, glanced at her screen and was about to give me her signature line once more. I held up my hand and said, "I cannot stay. I arrived before the appointed time and have waited over a half hour beyond.  My time today is very tight."
She: you will probably be charged for this visit, in any case.
Me: There was no 'visit' and I don't think so.
She: I think you will.
Me: I will charge back for my time and their unexplained tardiness.
She: What does that mean?
Me:  Check my file on your screen, you will find out quickly.

And I left.

(The arrogance in believing their time is more valuable than mine boggles the mind.)

It was too early for the Credit Union appt., so I picked up the prescriptions and a few other things to kill time, then headed for the meeting.

The CU updated their technological  bells and whistles to include image scanning for depositing checks via iPhones, smarter safeguards against identity theft, and more tech gibberish than my poor brain could handle. With all of my personal questions answered in simple English, hugs were shared and I was on my way again.

Had a bit of lunch at home before heading to the doctor's appt. and the promised physical exam. 

Which...didn't happen.  Seems there were a few unforeseen glitches in the doctor's schedule and it would be impossible for him to see me today.

Couldn't  a nurse practitioner perform the exam?  Why didn't anyone call to cancel the appt.? No response to either question. I've waited a long time for this appt - made 4 months ago - and I was getting angry.
Me: How soon can the appt. be re-scheduled?
She: (without missing a beat) The earliest I have available is April 11th, the Wednesday after Easter.  Same time.
Me: that's unacceptable.  Nothing sooner than that, nothing in the morning hours?
She: No. Doctor only sees patients on 2 afternoons - Wednesdays and Thursdays - weekly.
Me: Well, tell him 'good-bye' for me.  I can't live with his new schedule and I'm not going to risk dying because of it. I'll be looking for a new PCP now.


(Again, arrogance and the way things used to be  handled - at patient's expense.)

And I left.   It is what it is and not worth any more stress.

I wanted to stop for a bottle of wine on the way home, but thought better of it.  It began to rain and there's talk of a flurry or two tonight, so I was really bummed by these 2 medical fuck-ups and a half-wasted day off in the process.

I did stop for a half pound of rare roast beef so that I may indulge in a hot, messy Po-Boy for supper tonight.  Comfort food for us Cajuns. (Better than meatloaf with mashed potatoes, even.) Prior to that, this Cajun will find comfort in marinated olives - 2 or maybe more.


I am ready to get back to work.

And so it goes.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...