Sunday, February 12, 2012

Taste of Winter

Winter has arrived. We were hit with sleet, rain, and snow yesterday that continued  far  into the night. It was only a matter of time, really, the weather has been anything but winter-like since Thanksgiving. There is a high wind alert for today until 7 PM.  Not a fun day at the beach. There is ice and a dusting of snow on streets and rooftops. It's the cold that's hard to take, after the warm temperatures in the past.  It was 22' this morning and only 31' this afternoon.  The winds make it feel more bitterly cold than that, though.

The Locosguys left for Mexico this morning for a few tours of the Tequila areas.  Invited guests of a few of the lesser known makers for private tours of the facilities in the off chance they will find a treasure (not yet available in the US) and bring it back with them. They will be away for about 8 days.

Now that I am "servsafe certified" and a semi-manager I was given a tour of the kitchen - where the magic happens - and learned how the various stations are set up for maximum efficiency and food safety.  Everything in a specific place in either the coolers or steam tables and maintained at specific temperatures. Fascinating, but I don't think I'll remember much - it happened all too fast for my tiny brain to process it.

As I was leaving the kitchen I must have had a puzzled expression on my face because 2 primary chefs collared me and said, "come back anytime, we'll go over it again whenever you want until you feel comfortable."  That was encouraging and a relief, to say the least.

Had a golden margarita as the AS cocktail while receiving final bits of information regarding deliveries and other flotsam and jetsam, taking copious notes as reminders. My head hurt as I headed out the door.

I am snug in the tiny abode, with plenty of candles and comfort food to hold me over, just in case. And of course, there are olives, wine, and in a pinch the makings of a Sazerac if things get nasty - or even if they don't.

I will put in another call to my friend, though I don't know how drugged she will be.  I don't care, really.  Even if she is only in the present moment, at least she will know that I am with her here and now.

And so it goes.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...