Saturday, March 2, 2013

Chocolate Weekend. Sweet!

Obviously I haven't created a personal post in days, due in part, to the back pain that made it difficult to put more than two thoughts together without sounding like a blithering magpie. I have a new prescription for Flexeril and it is helping.  Only just. Anyway, I am still here and vertical, at least for the next hour or two.

Today was the annual RB Chocolate Festival where Chocoholics gather to show off and display their best recipes. This is a big deal here. Literally thousands of people line up and shell out  $2. to get in to sample the goodies.

The creators include chefs, moms, dads, and even kids as young of 12!  No joke.  This is some serious Chocolate-Lovin' stuff here. In my previous life I was a participating judge in 4 Festivals.  The judging is done in the early morning before the doors open to the public, so the winners are already known to those coming in to taste to goods. The weather was mild and partly cloudy so a very good day to stand in long lines to get in.  And cue up, they did.

Of course with so many people in town, the restaurant was busy all day. At times there was a half-hour wait for a table. Over 200 diners were served between 11:30 am and 4 pm. Many regulars come to town for the  Festival, but spent quality time with us dining or at the bar.  Fun times.

By the time I left the restaurant was no longer accepting reservations for tonight.  Full house in March is a rare and very good thing.  I left immediately when my shift ended as the place began to fill up for the evening. I was tired and the back pain was increasing by the minute.

I look forward to a quiet supper accompanied by a couple of olives before I turn in. The locosguys want to do some staff juggling and asked my opinion on a few people filling a variety of new positions. I will think about this and offer suggestions (or ask more questions) tomorrow, when we are not quite so busy. I have not been asked for input of this nature before.  Interesting.

In other good news, my payroll receipt showed a small raise in my hourly pay. A welcome surprise, especially during this time of turmoil on the national level. I feel very blessed, indeed. Just one reason to enjoy a couple of olives and celebrate.

Now, if I could alleviate this back pain the world would be a happier place for me. I just have to make it to Tuesday's appt. with the Orthopedist to find out what is next for me.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:


  1. The Chocolate Festival is a good thing for Rehoboth, especially in the off season. A couple of years ago a friend of mine attempted to go but were thwarted by the high traffic and total lack of parking. We just made the loop and got out of town. I avoid all these events, in Lewes as well. Great for the local business but not something for the locals to partake of. It's the summertime craziness all over again.
    I'm not surprised that the owners of your establishment are seeking your input for business decisions. You don't give yourself enough credit for your value as their employee. They are lucky to have you. I hope you're on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my share of back trouble and can certainly identify with your pain. The chocolate festival sounds like a wonderful place to be!

    Just wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and sharing your enthusiasm for Lillian Gish and "The Wind".

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...