Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bad, Good and Ugly

Yes, in that order.

After a hectic day at the restaurant yesterday I arrived at the apartment/house to find a "FOR SALE" sign in place. WTF?
There was an email from the landlady explaining the situation - that her ex was putting the screws to her for a lump settlement and that she's discovered that the place is high maintenance, and it is -
reassuring me that she's not optimistic about getting her price so "please don't panic."

Haven't been able to have a face-to-face with her, but will sometime this week. Don't panic, indeed.

Work has been wonderful and busy, working with a terrific staff and learning new bits from the boss to make me run things more smoothly as the season approaches.  Due to the bright sun and warmer than normal temps the restaurant has been jumpin' and the town packed with folks celebrating what they hope is the end of a nightmarish winter. In fact, yesterday's numbers broke a record for the date - with over a thousand customers served between lunch and dinner.  No small feat, that.

Today was much the same for lunch, which helped take my mind off that damned SIGN on the street in front of the house.

I heard more ugly rumors being spread around town regarding my previous life; they make me angry and sad at the same time. It's frustrating to have the truth on your side, but no way to fight allegations by a person no one is willing to name. Four years ago I was given advice to just keep being me and do what I've always done, and sooner or later people would catch on and know the truth. So, why does this keep becoming an issue and why would anyone care about me anyway? Everything taken for granted for 30 years was lost in a flash. The worst damage has already been done, there is nothing more to squeeze out of me, so why bother? I mean, what is to be gained? My total destruction?  Maybe that's it.

That's what makes these rumors so insidious, there is no one to confront - although I have a good idea who is behind them, there's no proving my suspicions - so it becomes a classic case of "they said-I said".  And that just doesn't cut it. It drives me nuts, but I'll stick to "keep on keepin' on" and those who believe the rumours will believe what they want to believe and there's nothing to be done about it.  That's the hard part.


Time for a cocktail, a light dinner and settle in to watch the first two episodes of LIFE.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. You were the stronger one in this former relation, it shows because that former relative can't stand it that you're still around.

    Don't crumble under this new attack on your person, people who know you well see through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your own story and your battle for the truth therein appears to be our world (or at least our nation) in a microcosm. People today seem to have lost tough with anything empirical. If they believe it or want to believe it, it must be true regardless of the evidence. I am reminded of the wisdom of the 11 year old who lost his mother and who was mocked by the right-wingers. He is purported to have said that his mother told him that people have a right to be believe anything, but that it doe snot make them right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather this past weekend was glorious. It seemed as if the sunny skies and mild weather brought most people out of their winter cocoons.

    Incredible! Your restaurant served over a 1,000 customers! You all must be doing something right. I was hankering for a char grilled hamburger all weekend but something told me not to venture into town with the summer like weather.

    As far as the gossip floating around town, I haven't heard a thing but then I'm completely out of the loop. My advice to you of course is not to worry your pretty head about it. You know the truth and those who know you know the truth (doesn't this sound like a "Rumsfeld" explanation?) Well, you know what I mean.

    Just keep doing what you're doing. You're not hurting anybody. And the housing situation? You got at least a couple of years before that house is sold. We still have houses in my development for sale after FOUR YEARS! I wouldn't start packing your bags just yet. You'll be on Medicare before that house is sold.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...