Monday, March 8, 2010

The Week Begins with Sun & Silk Stockings

Let me explain that title, OK? OK!

This morning the boss decided that I should learn the procedure to open the restaurant, probably since I always arrive earlier than anyone (including himself) and have to wait for whomever arrives with a key. It's not a difficult procedure; only lots of little details to be done in specific order to formally "open" the restaurant for employees. I wrote most of it down after the fact, but I am sure there were some missed details.

I am not sure how comfortable I am with the responsibility of having a key to a place I've work less than a year. I know it speaks volumes of their trust, but still...that's a lot of responsibility for the risk involved and what I am being paid. More later as this evolves.

Being Monday we had no expectations for lunchtime diners, but (as usual) we were surprised. Perhaps it was the bright sun and warm temps, but they came out and practically beat down the door as we opened. Great people and big smiles - I know I write that a lot, but so help me, it's all true - as they chose their seating for themselves. This is something I allow when we're not busy as it always makes diners feel more comfortable. Oddly enough, people seem to have a particular seating preference in the place and we love to make that happen for them whenever possible.

Then midway through lunch there was an explosion somewhere in town and we lost 2/3 of our electric power. The bosses jumped into action (telling me that this has happened before) and we remained open and functioning with a few minor disruptions. Since other establishments open for lunch (and there are few this time of year) were crippled by the power outage, we happened to benefit from the situation. With that 1/3 power source we were able to maintain output from the kitchen and bar. The only problem was that we couldn't use the soda dispenser. We worked around that problem and everything went smoothly until the power was restored about an hour and a half later.

Happy Hour talk was about the mysterious power outage - hey, it's a small beach town, and the regulars had a grand time sleuthing the source of the explosion - which will probably be in the weekly paper on Wednesday.

I enjoyed a Cosmo for my after-shift cocktail then headed home to prep dinner. Upon arrival I did something I NEVER do - switch on the DISH and TV - before changing out of my work drag; suddenly from the bedroom I hear familiar music from a fave MGM musical "Silk Stockings" with Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. I grabbed some sweats and finished changing in front of the TV. I caught the last 40 minutes of the film and it made my day.

After the movie, feeling all warm inside, I enjoyed a martini as I prepped dinner. Isn't it amazing how such little things can take you to a whole 'nother place? A place, I might add, I am grateful to be at the moment.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I remember my mother and sister (older by 7 years) talking excitedly about "Silk Stockings". They loved it. I do not remember that much about it and I have not seen it since then.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...