Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No Slouching Toward Tomorrow

When I woke this morning, I psyched myself into high gear to make this a productive day until I heard the familiar sounds of high wind and torrential rain battering the house. I was already dressed and ready to go, but chose not to face the drenching downpour and whipping winds (gusting to 45 mph). Feeling defeated I made a mug of coffee and began checking out the daily papers online.

After a while I noticed that the deafening sounds had died down and looked out to see the rain had become a sprinkle and the winds had lost some of their punch. I kicked myself into action and hit the road to scratch errands off the list that has been ignored since last week. Everything on the list was completed within 2 hours and I decided that I needed a visit to the ocean - the weather be damned - and made my way to the beach at the south end of the state park known as Whiskey Beach, thanks to the pirate activities in the area a couple of hundred years ago - to take a short, but exhilarating walk to inhale the salt air and clear my aching head.

I felt much better and almost buoyant as I made two final stops before heading back to the apartment. I've retained most of the energy from that walk and hope to do it again when the weather clears more.

Still sorting out the events (and my meltdown) from last week but I am taking it slowly.  Knowing that there isn't anything I can do about any of the tragedies, or inevitable health issues doesn't sit well with me, but I have to find something positive about it and, as Monty Python sang - "always look on the bright side of life".

Looking forward to work tomorrow and giving input on items for a new lunch menu for the spring and summer. A few of us were questioned about what we think would work and we made our suggestions. We'll see how this develops in the coming days. It is hoped that the new menu will be ready in another week or two. Knowing as little as I do about the business of food service, I am anxious to follow this process as it evolves.

I know I need a break, however short, away from this place and I have to find a way to make that happen before the tourist season begins and can't go anywhere.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. It has been so long since I have been to the ocean. I do not really care for sandy beaches. I prefer the rocky shores of Maine. But many years ago when I had an opportunity to go there a couple of times, walk along the shore or sit on the rocks, breathe in the ocean air and listen to the surf, I was renewed in a way that I have rarely been since then. I am happy to read that you too that walk along your beach.
    Too bad that you did not run into any [hunky] pirates from the 1700's to take you hostage on board their ship and do unspeakable [wonderful] things to you. *wink and grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cajun,

    Glad to hear you have a grip on the happenings in your life. I know from experience that the older you get the harder it is to bounce back. Going to the beach works for me too. It's strange but sometimes it just speaks to me & says "Come Now!" I'd go more often if I didn't have a 35 mile ride. But even the ride is pleasant this time of year. We all have our refuge.

    I loved your last blog about the two wolves. I made a copy for my husband as he is going thru some strife at work. He always looked forward to retirement when he could do as he pleased but with the way the economy is going he says he has to work til he dies. If that's not enough to bum you out!

    Hang in there & keep thinking positive thoughts!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lem: I love the ocean, rocks or sand, it doesn't matter. The Atlantic sings to me, much like a humpback whale.

    As usual, I love your romantic, vivid imagination.

    Fran: Thanks for visiting, and thanks for your previous offer. I wrote twice, but never hit 'send'. It's nice to know you're there. I hope your husband's situation gets better soon. I'll keep you both in prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...