Monday, July 29, 2013

T. G. I. (My) F.

Made it through another one, only just, and ran out of the place at shift's end - without an AS cocktail.  Our lunches have been averaging between 150 and 300 diners every day.  More if it rains.

It's been so busy that many of us don't have a chance to get a shift meal.  I just have a hearty breakfast with eggs, toast and fruit - banana, orange, or grapefruit - and that gets me through until 4 pm.

I think I detect a little jealousy on the part of the boss. I am mentioned favorably in reviews lately. Trip Advisor, Open Table, Yelp, and Urbanspoon.  Unfortunately, he takes these reviews way too seriously for his (and the restaurant's) own good.

Still he's mentioned all the time, but seems to covet all the attention.  I am happy if someone enjoyed their time with us and I could spread a little humor and friendly chatter, but I am not interested in reviews - bad or good.  I don't take that stuff seriously.  Many of the reviews I've read were written by people who clearly never stepped through our doors.  He doesn't care, all he sees is the 1 or 2 stars and goes ballistic for a half hour. Not my problem.  When he stops foaming at the mouth, I read the full review to him pointing out all the misinformation included.  People with an axe to grind?  Maybe, but who cares?

I've not seen this side of him and it ain't pretty. I know the job I do and I do it well. He was my teacher and he taught me well.  Perhaps now he thinks he taught me TOO well.  We'll see how it all shakes out after the season is over and we settle into the Fall/Winter/Spring routines.

Half a Cornish Hen is roasting (I cannot eat a whole one anymore) and olives are about to go into the gin.  I am grateful to be off tomorrow, but the car needs to be looked at. Last week the "check engine" light came alive as I was about to run a few errands. That will never do.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. (raises glass) to your health, darlin801/2g!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boss (the owner) of the hotel also takes his Trip Advisor reviews way too seriously. Last week he had three reviews, two good one not so good. Of course he focused on the bad review (which was a "piling on review" - she didn't like that the room was so close to Gilligan's Restaurant but it was the only one left and she was told that). Unfortunately a LOT of customers read Trip Advisor reviews which is why I think the owners of businesses put so much focus on them. I know it must be especially frustrating for your owner knowing how hard they work for to make your establishment one of the best in Rehoboth. There will always be those bad reviews, always. You're right, not get too upset about it and just keep doing the great job they're doing. For those occasional bad reviews that have a legitimate grip, we turn a lemon into lemon aid by making the change. And we have done that thus making our establishment an even better destination. I hope the owner of your establishment does the same. Always room for improvement, no matter how good the business.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...