Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lost Brain: How Embarrassing!

As I was coming out of sleep mode this morning  I heard this very strange sound. It didn't seem to be coming from anywhere in particular, but its insistent, urgent sound got me out of bed and in search of the source very quickly.  I ran around the place putting my ear to every goddamn device that squeals,  blinks, chirps, belches, or hums.  Nothing.

Checked all computer related devices, since they were the most logical electronics to blame.  Nothing.

Not the smoke alarm. Not any sort of reset on anything connected to the TV.  Then, as I moved near the shelving units in the living room, the sound volume increased and as I moved from one unit to the other I was able to pinpoint the culprit. I stood stock still in shock.

Ahem!  If you visit here with any regularity, you may remember that back in March (that would be FOUR months ago!)  I took advantage of a sweet deal on an iPad that cost me less than $100 bucks. Well, I must have stuck it in one of the bins and forgot about it, and evidently the battery finally ran down and it was a call for help from the poor thing.

In my defense less than 2 weeks after the purchase I began the seasonal 6 - 7 day work-week so the poor thing languished and all the learning that was to occur went by the wayside and was completely forgotten.  Now that I've revived the little treasure I think it will be the ideal digital communication companion to take on my trip in September.  I can send emails, search out new places to explore in NOLA and learn more about the adventures already being planned by friends there. I know others folks have similar iPads and I'd love to communicate with them via the devices.  I know nothing about how "face-time" works, for example. I assume that's why Skype is one of the apps pre-installed, but what do I know.

The poor neglected thing is charging and once that's complete I will search the app store for more information.  It may be the better option than the laptop after all, being lighter, more compact, and more easily stored in a carry-on bag. I can upload photos when I get back after the trip.  I think I will be otherwise occupied to spare the time to send images to FB or the blog. Unless I figure out how to post a photo from the cell phone, that is.

I know how my afternoon will be spent...another adventure is at hand.

And so it goes.
*

6 comments:

  1. Once you start using the iPad regularly the laptop will gather dust.

    FaceTime allows you to talk with other iPad and iPhone users and as simple as pushing a button. The problem now is when my mother calls on FaceTime I can no longer answer the phone in shorts eating a pizza :-),

    Download the free app 4square it will be a big help with daily discounts while on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Roger: Thanks for the info and comment, but I still don't know how connections are made between others and myself. Sounds marvelous, but elusive at present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a treasure there with your iPad my friend. It's a shame you weren't able to use it. Bill is on his seconde iPad. He's on it almost all the time. Yes, definitely take it with you on your vacation. You can take wonderful, digital photos with it that equal or are better (depending on how steady you hold your hand) of the old fashion SLR cameras. And FaceTime, definitely. I have two new FaceTime friends just this past week. One gentleman in Toronto and another in Palm Springs, CA. Of course I talk to Dr. Spo every week, usually Saturday. FaceTime is oh so much better than Skype. Only thing is the user at the other end has to have an Apple device. The FaceTime download is free and very easy to use. I use it everywhere, even here at work. With the newer iPads and iPhones you don't have to be around WiFi to use it, just have a 4G connection. Dr. Spo has taken me on a tour of his pool area and I've taken him on a tour of my backyard. When you take photos using your iPad you can post them directly to Facebook, e-mail and you iPad itself. It is ridiculously easy to use. That's why I only use Apple products these days. Charge that battery up and start using it. It is very easy, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger is right, once you start using your iPad your laptop will gather dust. I have a Macbook Pro, never use it. The only thing that I can think of that your iPad can't do is print. That doesn't present a problem for me or Bill. However, I believe now you can print wirelessly. You iPad doesn't have a USB connection. I thought that would be a problem but it hasn't been with us. If I need to print something I use my iMac. You'll be surprised how little you will miss your printer. You iPad provides everything you need from weather forecasts, updating your Facebook status, taking photos, checking the weather, paying your bills, checking your e-mails and I could go on and on. I'm sorry you didn't have a half hour to spend with me when I came down to show you how to use it. That's all it takes. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ron: Facetime is already on the iPad, but I don't know how I am to connect with people without a phone number or whatever is necessary to connect. For example, I have no idea how I would contact you. I have no phone or cell phone number for you.

    If I learn how to use the device soon, I'll take it on holiday, if not, I'll take the Kindle and cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How you contact me is by my e-mail address. As long as we're both using Apple products, it works. Think of it as the same way you do a phone. Just call the phone number. With FaceTime you call the e-mail address. Of course first you have to download the FaceTime software if it isn't already on your iPad, which it may be. Let me know by e-mail when it is convenient for me to test your FaceTime receivability. I can call you from my iMac. If you have FaceTime activiated on your iPad you will receive my call. Whatever ringtone you have set up on your iPad will ring when I call. Again, when you go into FaceTime pick my e-mail address from your Address Book. It will go into your contacts. I'll send you my phone number if you want me to walk you through it. I'm off the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...