Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Break, iTired, and iPad


These past 2 weeks have been an unbelievably busy time.  As if the Bloggerpalooza wasn't enough, spring break for NJ, PA, and NY broke out the week between Palm Sunday and Easter; while the second act, and busier for us; DE, MD, and VA busted out from Easter and ends today.  Thank you  Jeebus!

Please, we're not complaining; the weather has been unpredictable so far and we didn't know what to expect or if families would even bother with the beach.  They did and we were slammed at the restaurant all last week with large family groups to the point that I had a half hour wait for tables at lunch and an hour+ wait for dinner.

I picked up the iPad on Friday, brought it home and plugged it in to charge the battery, and that was that for the weekend.  No time to play with it and no energy to read the minimal instructions.

Today was another busy day, though not as busy as last week.  Folks were heading home for the new school week, having a quick bite and hitting the road. This meant I was free at my regular time and sat with a few co-workers for an after shift cocktail.

During this time, Ron (the dear) of "Retired in Delaware" arrived to offer a lesson in iPad 101.  I explained the situation and told him I would be in touch.  My 2 drinking buddies were on bikes and I was walking, so as we headed off in different directions, I knew what I was going to do:  I wanted baked pork chops with asparagus for supper and I wanted to spend the evening at the Apple Store searching for apps for the iPad. And that is what I am going to do.

The chops are marinating, asparagus is ready for the oven, and when I post this I will be in happy Apple land while supper cooks. Apple is very new to me, but I can get used to not worrying about viruses and the irritating downloaded "windows updates" that seem to occur almost daily anymore.

I may become a Mac user if my Windows 7 desktop isn't functional soon. None of the downloads have been helpful in reviving the OS and I am getting tired of using the laptop. If I must lose all my programs and personal files, then so be it.

Supper is about to go into the oven, a few olives will accompany me to the land of Apple Apps, so wish me luck.  This should be fun.

Someone said today that I am too old for all this change. They haven't known me very long, so they're allowed to be stupid.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Looking good! The iPad comes with minimal instructions because it is just that easy to use. Just let me know when you're ready for lesson one. The learning curve is very easy as it is with any Apple product. And when you're ready for a change in your desk top computer, definitely go with an iMac. No hangups, no viruses, and you have the iCloud which automatically updates both your iPad and iMac (and your iPhone if you get one.) I am so glad Don Voth pushed me to get Apple. I too was hesitant at my advanced years to learn yet more "new stuff" but my fears were unfounded. The Apple products are fun to use and have made my life so much easier. I just wish I made my decision years ago.

    Give me a call or e-mail me from your iPad when you're ready.

    Ron
    Retired in Delaware

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, if you can accept the challenge of all this change, more power to you! Keep changing, keep living.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOO OLD?!? fuck them! one is NEVER too old to learn something new. and it's an adventure, a challenge, and a mind-bender all at the same time, which to me sounds like F-U-N!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...