Monday, April 1, 2013

A Few Things


Easter weekend was an amazing time. Plenty of regular customers and families were down (the week prior to Easter was Spring Break for NY, NJ, and PA - This week is Spring Break for MD, VA, and DE) and the restaurant was hopping, big time. I had a half-hour wait for a table at lunch on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It was a joyful time, to be sure. By last evening I was cross-eyed and so weary I almost waddled home.  No after shift cocktail for me, just peace and quiet and a few olives at home, thank you.

Today with Easter over, those decorations came down as we prepare Dos Locos for Cinco de Mayo - always a super busy weekend for the restaurant. I can't imagine why that might be, can you?  Of course, the Locosguys are working on a special menu for the occasion, as they always do.

I've been reading posts of bloggers who attended "Bloggerpalooza" last week and it seems all of us came away with the same feelings.  OK, so it may sound kinda mushy and stuff, but if you weren't here, you can't know how we related to one another. It was a unique experience for me, and as I read the words of others, it was for them, as well. And as many have written, it was too short a time to get to know one another better.  However, we did our  best. I did enjoy an intense one-on-one with Fred of "Our Simple Lives" and enjoyed a light lunch on Sunday afternoon with Sassy & Jeffrey who sent a text as they shopped the little stores in Rehoboth. Great fun that will never be forgotten. I am sure we will stay in touch and I will see them again in the near future.

If you visit this place from time to time, you may remember that I received a $150. Wal*Mart Gift Card for bitching completing a survey about the lousy service I was subjected to on a recent visit.  I couldn't imagine spending that much money on Walmart's Chinese junk, then someone told me to check their website; that they offered much more there than in the stores.  Well, the card was to expire on 3/31/13 so I took the shot and went hunting. What I found astounded me. An Apple iPad on sale for $376. with free delivery to any store. I did some quick math: $150. Card and  $131. cash back rewards from Discover Card meant that this iPad would set me back $95.!!! Well, what's not to love? I placed the order on 3/30 and it will be in my hot little hands by 4/4/13.  I still find it hard to wrap my head around this whole episode.  It appears that Walmart is desperate for positive PR after a year of negative press and lawsuits.  Sorry, but I only shop there for coffee pods for my Senseo Coffee Maker. No one else in the US carries them anymore.  Not even Amazon, who was my last supplier.

I learned today that an old photographer buddy of mine passed away recently. We used to spend our Saturdays in Central Park or The Cloisters in all kinds of weather shooting mostly black & white film, processing it and making prints of our efforts. We even sold a few. We stayed in touch via email and the infrequent phone call.  His wife didn't approve of his friendship with a gay man, so we hadn't seen each other in years. Today, his widow called to say that he left one of his cameras to me and she would be choosing which one and would send it when everything else was in order. I was shocked and honored that he would even think of our old days together.  First of all, I had no idea he was ill.  (she didn't go into details.) Second, I am sure it irritated her no end to make the call to get my mailing address information. Her voice dripped with sarcasm and oozed venom, but I didn't acknowledge the stinging barbs or take the bait to get my goat.

I am off work for the next 2 days, and these may be the last 2 days off until September, and the end of the summer season. It's coming, and they're coming folks.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. I regret that I didn't get to spend more time with you, fred, and a host of other friends at the blogger meetup. ah, there's always next year, though I hope I don't have to wait THAT long!

    you have a month of peace before the tourist season begins in earnest; enjoy it with a few olives while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that everyone who attended the blogger meet-up enjoyed themselves immensely. Congrats on the new iPad due to arrive on Thurs. Sorry about your old friend's passing. How nice that he remembered you in his will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are planning on having another Bloggerpalooza next year for three days. Two days was hardly enough. The dates are the weekend before Easter, that way folks staying at the hotel can still take advantage of the low winter rates and I can still offer a 20% on rooms. And we plan to have EVERYONE in the old time photo next year, including you and Anne Marie!

    You'll love your new iPad. If you need any help using it let me know. We have three of them here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. Bill uses his all the time. Using FaceTime is a big advantage with iPad. I use it everyday. It's free and easy to use. You can also take photos with your iPad and so much else. Darn if I don't sound like a salesman here, selling hotel rooms and iPads.

    I'm glad you had a good time at the Bloggerpalooza. Everybody liked meeting "The Cajun" as I told them they would! Watch out for Anne Marie, I think she has her eye on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still want one of your shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooohhhh...I want to come for cinco de mayo. Again, it was a pleasure getting 2 on 1 time with you and we can't imagine not visiting again and having another faboo visit with you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...