Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Is That Really Necessary?


After a lovely day in the 50s yesterday, I woke to a frigid 38' F this morning.  Teeth chattering like castanets as I cranked up the heat to warm the apartment and slid back under the covers.  Later, after a coffee and an egg with sourdough toast, I grabbed my list and made my way downstairs to the car.

The little darlings were arriving at the pre-school downstairs so there was much babbling and malfunctioning of adult brain cells.  As I approached my car a little darling was having a meltdown and while screeching at the very top of his lungs (making my eyes water) he was kicking the driver's side door of my car.  Initially I couldn't believe his mother was just standing by and watching this little scene play itself out.

Furious, I brought my voice down to the most lethal tone and said "stop this, who do you think you are?" Both mom and the brat jumped then froze in place. I asked the mother, "is this your car?" she shook her head.  I said, "no, of course not. You wouldn't allow him to kick your car, now would you?" She said nothing while looking for a way to escape this crazy man.

I turned my attention to the mad child and he stood stock still. I said, "if you want to throw a tantrum, do so in the school, or in your mother's car as she drives you off the edge of a cliff. Now, GET AWAY FROM MY CAR!!! The little darling let out a yelp and promptly wet himself. Mom opened her mouth to speak, but I cut her short, "this is how you raise your child to be a productive member of society  No respect for the property of others? Really? Try harder."

While they stood in front of the school, seemingly unable to move, I got into the car and sped away to run errands. Still angry but feeling satisfied that my little scene may have been a life-changing event, at least for the kid.

When asked if he liked children, W.C. Fields replied, "I do if they are properly cooked."

Chaos and disorder neutralized.  My job is done for today.

And so it goes.
*

7 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for calling this mombie and her bratley out on their respective bullshit! now hopefully your car is not too damaged.

    I hope the bratley had to sit in his wet pants all day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!

    Sean R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I saw a video recently of Dan Savage. He was discussing how odd he thinks it is that people get away with behaving badly because people who they are the victims of the bad behavior are too polite to hold the perpetrators accountable for their behavior. I am sure the mom was embarrassed and angry. GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if more people were brave to stand up to badness, we would have less of it

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA! I wish I had seen the mother's face! Unfortunately, retaliation is why people don't really stand up most of the time.

    On the other hand, I've been "assaulted" by someone who thought I had behaved badly although I honestly believed I was in my right, and I tried to explain my position but it turned out to be useless. There were many onlookers who witnessed me being treated unfairly and nobody interfered to support me.

    "If you don't cry out when they come after your neighbour, don't expect people to cry out when they come after you"

    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jon: As an adult you did what you thought was right. The others disagreed, but that doesn't make you wrong. Let it go.

    @Sean: I am not a hero, I just have to call BS and poor parenting when I see it.

    Thanks for the visit and comments, guys.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...