Friday, April 12, 2013

Philippe Cousteau: Man of my Dreams

Years before the start of my doomed 30-year relationship  I was secretly in love with only one man. I loved his intelligence, scientific and oceanographic knowledge, his documentary film-making skills, his commitment to his father's mission, and his determination to see it through.  I was an avid fan of his famous father and followed his work as possible back before social media and YouTube. 

And speaking of YouTube, I remembered seeing the myth-shattering film "The Silent World"  in NYC and recently discovered it on YouTube.  Watching it again, I felt the same awe, anxiety, and wonder that I felt all those years ago. 

Many of the Cousteau specials were produced by National Geographic and I still have some on VHS (Remember VHS?) 

Unfortunately, Philippe's life ended abruptly when his flying boat, the Catalina, flipped over off the coast of Spain. A terrible loss to all humanity.





In the Catalina.


So there you have it. I loved to dive and loved the Cousteau mission, and I could have spent my entire life working with and snuggling with this man and his beard. 

Now, please stop asking for info about the loves of my life.  He was IT!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I never knew you had a secret love. Hmmmm. Any more secrets?
    Retired in Delaware

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across your post on Philippe as I was combing Google images for yet another photo of him to add to my collection. Obviously, I couldn't agree more! I had an enormous crush on him for years and followed him and his father's work as you did. I was devastated when I leaned of his death.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...