Tuesday, April 16, 2013

MIA & Boston


Laid low by a tree pollen/head cold  combo since Saturday evening, I've been missing in action ever since.
Made it through a busy Sunday and was making another valiant effort the last 2 hours of my shift yesterday - rapidly losing my voice in the process - when news of the explosions at the Boston marathon hit all TV screens at once.

For those 2 hours everyone was riveted trying to figure out who would do such a thing.  It didn't take long for many theories to surface. Local or foreign, none were excluded. Of course a cry went up when the first person snagged by police was a Saudi student studying in Boston.  Racial profiling, anyone?

As my voice faded away I sat at the bar after my shift and sipped a hot Jameson's toddy prepared by Linda, the GM. The concoction soothed my throat but had no effect on the ability to speak without croaking sounds.

The speculation continued by all of us as well as the media on the scene. Reading the captioning I noticed there was never a mention of this being planned and executed by a home-grown American person or group. American media still refuse to call local acts of terrorism, just that.  Acts committed by American terrorists. Seems we have a short collective memory for things like the Oklahoma City and Atlanta bombings.

I finished the toddy and tired of the same endless tape loop, I walked home in silence feeling empty and tired; wondering what sort of mind could imagine doing such a horrible thing and why it was always directed against innocent people. It was a very early-to-bed night; I felt feverish and chilled.

No one - or group - has claimed this evil. I woke this morning to news that many of the injured had lost limbs, both spectators and runners alike. Irony?  Maybe. This news made me feel no better as I remain without voice.

Grateful for the day off I will sip green tea with honey and lemon, down a few bowls of soup, read in bed all day, and fall asleep if it comes to me. It appears this thing has relocated to my chest, because it feels like a giant bird is crushing me.   Low energy and kind of weak.

I am on the laptop for now.  It seems the desktop has given up the ghost and I am too tired to call Eddie again for help. Whatever! It is what it is.  May be time for a new computer.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. spouse heard that allergy sufferers are on high alert today due to pollen...tell me about it, I took an asthma attack just walking from the house to the garage this morning!

    in misery with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon and glad you have today off. Rest and soothe your throat and throw off that chest heaviness. Take care of yourself.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your cold. I've had one that's dogged me all winter. For one weekend I did lose my voice too. All the same symptoms, tiredness, exhaustion. I hope you're back to your normal routine soon.
    The evil that happened in Boston is...I'm at a loss for words.so soda, people just going about their business and someone has to bring their issues to them by such a vile and inhumane act.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you start feeling better soon, handsome. Rest and be well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...